I have a Leica M3, with attached grip, which I use infrequently

because I cannot get a comfortable grip in the vertical position. I

shoot mostly portraits, so I need the vertical aspect. And I have no

problem shooting horizontally. But when I hold the camera vertically

it feels awkward, I cannot focus without obscuring the viewfinder. My

hands get shaky which interferes with sharpness. Anyway--i am sure I

am probably the only Leica user with that problem, so maybe I can get

some useful help (and no sarcasm please :-) ). Is there maybe some

auxiliary grip via the tripod screw that might help?

Thanks in advance!

Bert

First, remove the "attached grip" and sell it to a fondler. Then pick up any Leica owner's manual or a copy of one of the myriad editions of Mannheim's Leica books. Therein you will find photographs of two different vertical holds, one with the advance level end up, and the other down (release with thumb). One or the other should be comfortable for you. If not perhaps there is something about the size of your hands and/or the shape of your face that falls just outside what can be done with an M body. No device is universal to everyone's anatomy, not even a pencil.

I always wonder how this guy gets his time for learning all his tricks. Considering the

amout of messages in various forums I am under the impression he must be sitting

on a wheel chair testing out gear all day ;-)

Jay's advice is right - I always felt awkward doing verticals with the M3 because I held it like a Nikon with "Shutter button up".

One day for some reason I can't remember, I turned it vertical with

"shutter button down", and it was like magic. All awkwardness gone.

Try both grips before you give up.

<i>Yes, in fact you might want to add all of Lutz's accessories together, unlike black tape they can actually fool people into not recognizing it as a camera.<p></i>Oh, Jay, you are so boring but so RIGHT! Yes, leaving a camera recognizable is the MOST IMPORTANT thing about photography! Glad you pointed that one out. Now, please, get a life <i>...you sad, sad man!</i> (am I quoting "About Schmidt" correctly...?)

What Jay and Bob said. I prefer to hold the shutter button end down. The other way, my right elbow is flying in the breeze, and I 'm not steady. With the shutter button end down, my elbows can be braced against my sides, for good steady support.

The "trick" (it's not a big secret) when using a tabbed lens, is to focus with the camera horizontal, then go vertical for the shot.

I'd say this is one of the more appropriate questions for the Leica forum that I've seen lately, even though I hold my Nikon the same way!

I shoot verticals "shutter-button-end-up". That way I don't have to change my right-hand grip at all. I just shove my right elbow up (not "out"), my wrist cocks 90 degrees, and the camera swings naturally into vertical position.

I do tend to pre-focus in horizontal mode (I've noticed my eye tends to shift off-center more in vertical mode - threatening focus errors).

So I don't need a focus-grip for verticals. My left-hand grip is either:

Thumb up the back/fingers across the front corner below the frame-selector lever/round camera rewind-end nestled solidly in the arch between thumb and forefinger

- or - thumb across the rewind knob-top plate-fingers gripping the baseplate-camera squeezed tightly in between. (gosh, opposable thumbs are nice, aren't they?)

In either case my left elbow stays tight against my side.

Shooting shutter-button-down means the camera back is teetering on the tip of my nose - not a very stable platform for right-eyed shooters (and left-eyed shooters are basically screwed by the rangefinder design in the first place).

No add-on grip - ever.

Hmm, now that the subject arises (albeit a tad peripheral to Mr. Lippel's original

question), it occurs to me that I seem to shoot verticals about half up/half down. This

is true whether I'm using a rangefinder or an SLR. Makes reading contact sheets a bit

more troublesome.

I don't really know what factors contribute to the decision--maybe it has to do with

which side of me a wall or other leaning-up-against thing is located.

Hi Bert.I agree with the aforementioned advice of shooting vertical frameing with the

exposure button down.I am left eyed,therefore when I compose a vertical frame, my

schnozz clears the top plate of my M3.Let me guess, your right eye is dominant and

has led you to this predicament.Make friends with your left eye ,button down and

elbows in.I agree with Jay,lose the grip,its unmanly.

Suggestion 1 is the Sling; helps "mould" you hand to the camera.

Suggestion 2, if not using Sling, is "shutter button down" but using your thumb to release the shutter. Placing the thumb over the shutter button naturally palces the rest of the hand into a supportive cradle - easier to try than to describe & you have to get used to thumb-release- the advantage is that you can use your right index finger to operate the control rings on (short)lenses & a tab certainly helps here (at least for me)

Suggestion 3 is that releasing the shutter with your thumb is much nicer/ smoother with an Abrahamsson softie.

If you use SLR's a lot, you may want to shoot vertical with the release down. Most SLR users tend to hold the camera with the right hand, focus using the right eye, and reach across to focus with the left hand. Works with Reflex Viewing. Whoops, I can see that I am focussing the lens if the release side is up. Bop myself on the head and turn the RF camera around.

Grips? Just practice without the grip. The M3 is perfect as it is.<div>007SSd-16708484.thumb.JPG.b153cf8df8e3ad5ce273e0357c9c8fe1.JPG</div>