From Canada, looking to order online from the U.S.

david_williams11

Hi;

I'm from Canada and I'm looking to order some equipment (a film

scanner, possibly a digital SLR) from one of the larger online

retailers in the U.S.

I'm wondering if anyone else from Canada has any experiences with

this, ie shipping troubles, broken goods, pleasant experiences etc.

Also, are any one of these places better than the next? It seems to

me that they're all the same.

Finally, is there a competively priced place in Canada where I can

order equipment? I've been to Vistek.ca and the prices are way above

US outlets, even when you add the exchange, postage and tax.

Thanks,

Dave

You'll want to order from B&H in New York (www.bhphotovideo.com). They are NOT all the same and there are many scam artists so be careful if you don't take that advice. There are other good retailers but my experience has been good with B&H. Caveats: try to avoid UPS service. UPS ground will charge brutal 30% declared value brokerage fees. Fedex charges $10 CND if I recall, flat rate customs brokerage and I've been satisfied with their level of service. You'll pay PST/GST for your province (or HST) and you'll pay a small duty as well (3% or so). I think you realize that sending a $2000 camera without a courier is not worth the risk.

You may have issues with servicing/warranty on so-called "Grey" and "USA" models in Canada. E.g. Nikon Canada will not service either of these. You'd have to send a "USA" camera to the USA repairer, a "grey", well good luck!

You could look at www.henrys.com but the USA is still going to be cheaper.

Standard reply. Depends on what you want. Some things are cheaper from the big US places. Others just aren't worth the effort. You need to spend the time checking out things. It makes no sense to buy the "USA" version of stuff from the US. Buy the grey market stuff instead. The minute that higher priced USA stuff crosses the border into Canada it becomes grey. So you lose any benefit from having bought the US version.

B&H switched back to UPS awhile back. While they now offer FedEx in addition they seem to charge a fair premiumn to use FedEx. So you're either stuck with USPS [not bad actually] or not ordering from B&H.

Adorama I think still offers FedEx at a fair price. They also offer USPS I think. Most things seem to be a little cheaper from Adorama.

I'm not sure how Calumet ships. They tend to be a little more expensive on some things but cheaper on others. Remember I said you need to check things out.

Freestyle likely offers the best shipping choices. Very cheap for ground shipping. On the other hand prices can be a little higher on some things. Once again make sure you check things out. For big bulky items it can be better to pay the higher cost from Freestyle and the lower shipping. Assuming you want ground shipping.

Basically avoid UPS at all costs unless the deal is so good you can't get a similar one. UPS is supposedly not bad if you opt for the higher priced shipping option. On ground shipping they used to bleed you dry.

FedEx is relatively reasonable on the brokerage fee. No fee if you go with the higher cost next day shipping. If you decide to go with FedEx from Adorama then next day often makes the most sense. The added cost for next day is covered by the saved brokerage fee. If you don't need the speed just go with USPS.

USPS/Canada post is supposed to charge you $5 brokerage fee + PST/GST. Some times they do. Some times they don't. I have found no rhyme or reason to what they let slip in.

When I was talking about 'all the same', I was looking at some of the companies featured in the back of some of those photo magazines (Outdoor Photgraper etc.). I checked out B&H and could see it as a distinct company, but then I went to home pages of Broadway Photo, Digital Liquidators and AM Photoworld and they all seemed like the same company with slightly different pages (the 'hold' music on the phone lines was even the same).

I had a good experience with buyng a camera kit online from

B&H last summer. I knew all the costs up front, except for the

HST (which I had a ballpark idea what it would be anyway). I was

able to track the FedEx shipment all the way here, and it arrived

on time, in perfect condition.

The gear I bought was unavailable at any price in Canada, and

quite a good deal compared to anything I could buy, both here

and the US. If I had bought a more mainstream brand, I probably

would have been willing to pay a slight premium to get it in

Canada, to avoid potential service-under-warranty hassles.

Hello Dave, Excellent advice from the others! I reside in Ottawa and my preference is to buy locally, support the community etc. But I did purchase from B&H (the F100) as their prices were so much better than what I could get here. And yes you will pay a small duty/GST disbursement fee plus GST import i.e. on $1500CAN it would be 7% or $105 CAN. And a final brokerage fee - cannot recall exactly the amount but in the range of the GST amount - telephone 1-800-567-7123 Ext.4200 and they will advise you. The camera along with a few accessories arrived promptly and in perfect order. This is my only dealing with B&H...so far. Good luck.

Yes Adorama can be OK too but avoid their used stuff. (I've been in their store). As for the other shops you mention, look no further than the <a href=http://www.photo.net/neighbor/one-subcategory?id=2>photo.net neighbour to neighbour postings.</a> There are many scams...

<p>Regarding a USA warranty camera, can you not send it to the US for warranty repair? A grey market camera isn't going to be accepted anywhere (except maybe through a crappy 3rd party warranty).

Several things to consider/explore. Call Nikon.ca and Canon.ca and check their current policies on goods purchased from "authorized" dealers(everyone knows you're at sea in Canada with gray goods). I spoke last month with a Nikon.ca rep who stated that Nikon products bought from Nikon USA-authorized dealers would receive warranty service in Canada. I'd deal only with vendors recommended on this site, especially during the holiday rush. Avoid the undertow of no-name online bargain dealers. Buy import/gray goods and you'll enter a world of pain if you're in Canada and need service.

I just wanted to point out that Nikon Canada's official policy, as stated on their web site, is that they will NOT service ANY Nikon product purchased outside of Canada. You didn't mention which camera or scanner brand you were looking to buy, but Canon, unlike Nikon, does not discriminate based on where you shop.

As far as online retailers go, B&H is about the best there is. If there is a problem with an item you receive from them, they will give you a full refund, including return shipping costs.

Many people also recommend Adorama, but my experiences with them have all been bad and I now avoid them.

There is no duty payable on camera gear coming into Canada (including digital cameras) but I'm not sure if scanners are duty exempt.

Like someone else mentioned, avoid UPS - they may be the best deal for the shipper but they bleed the international recipient on brokerage ...

USPS and Canada Post is the best in my view. And as someone else mentioned they sometimes "forget" to charge their $5 brokerage and even the GST and PST, even on pricey items ...

Sorry, Bob, but Nikon.ca does seem to be willing to service products purchased from "authorized" American Nikon dealers.Now that Nikon.ca is offering the U.S.-style "2/5 year" warranty on bodies and lenses, it leaves little room to refuse ALL service. I'm simply reporting what a rep told me when I inquired about this somewhat delicate issue. If David buys from the States, he'd better make sure he deals with an "authorized" Nikon dealer like B&H and buys "U.S.A." goods, not imports even from B&H. He should call Canon.ca/Nikon.ca for clarification before he buys.

• 1 month later...

uh i am also asking a question, i was just searching on google for info on duties for camera gear and this page popped up.

i'm hoping to order a sony vx2100, and i can't afford to pay for any other shipment then ground shipping........and i was wondering if it is true that camera gear is duty exempt? IF I CHOOSE NORMAL GROUND SHIPPING FOR $49.99, I DON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT HEINOUS DUTY CHARGES?????

thanks alot