Bad front element on a Rolleiflex

juan_bonet

If the problem actually is a element separation this can be repaired without too much difficulty; there are several people who do this type of work.

The last time that I had this done, the cost was $85 - presumably your Rollei is in good enough condition to warrant this expense.

Why do people talk out their butts when they have no clue what they're looking at or talking about? It would be pretty hard to get separation behind the front element of a 75 Planar because it isn't cemented to anything to begin with! What you're seeing in the first two pictures (the 3rd isn't even recognizable as a lens)is severe coating damage. The good news is it can be recoated fairly economically *because* it isn't part of a cemented group. Contact John VanStelten at Focal Point in Colorado.

I agree with Jay, it seems to me that the front element is damaged.

If I was you, I'd contact the following to find out the cost of this kind of repair:

www.focalpointlens.com

and also:

Jurgen Kuschnik

654 Shadow Lake Dr.

Thousand Oaks CA 91360

email: jurgen.ku@adelphia.net

Can anyone recommend a repair facility (need e-mail address or phone number) that specializes in re-cementing lens elements. I don't mind paying a little extra for quality work, as my Tele-Rollei is a very valuable camera. I would not want some chop-shop or fly-by-night operation ruining my glass elements with shoddy workmanship. Thanks in advance.

The ones Antonio listed do excellent work. I had Focal Point recement the front doublet on my Rollei Planar 2.8, and they recoated the front element as well. Cost about $275, as I recall. In addition, Mr. Van Stelten removed oxidation, or haze, on the glass surfaces. The lens is a top, good as new performer, every bit an equal to a newer 80mm Planar (sans multicoating, of course).

Van Stelten is highly regarded and many Leica users use him in the restoration of old Leica lenses. As fussy as that bunch is, that should give you an idea of the quality of his work.