Modern lenses for 2x3 Crown Graphic?

todd frederick

I have been asking many questions regarding using a mini Crown

Graphic 2x3 with MF roll film backs...mainly for hand held use.

My camera has the original Optar 101mm lens. It's ok, and clean,

somewhat coated, with only a few minor scratches under bright light.

I may want to obtain a lens in the 150mm range, or may be happy in

the 100mm range...be that as it may, any suggestions of what modern

lenses might fit this very tiny lens board?

Strange as it sounds, I've had this little gem a couple of weeks but

haven't snapped a single picture!!!...this weekend is the time!

The problem with fitting "modern" lenses to a 23 Graphic isn't their diameter, as most are in #0 or #1 shutters which go fine on the lensboard. But their depth, which prevents closing the camera front with the lens in place. Color shot with my 105mm f:3.7 Ektar has sharpness and bokah like a Summicron. My 100mm Symmar-S is probably a little better for B&W, probably due to the multicoating.

I have been using a Century Crown Graphic for about 10 years now, and have accumulated quite a collection of lenses. I couple that I use a lot and would recommend looking into are the 65mm f/6.8 Angulon (tiny little lens with suprising WA results), and the 135mm f/4.5 Xenar. Actually I must have a dozen lenses now - one thing to keep in mind is that you can do a lot of experimenting without spending a lot of money. Two good choices for a longer than normal lens for little $$ are the 127 f/4.7 Ektar and the 127 f/4.5 Raptar (the one off old Polaroids can sometimes be gotten for as little as $25). Actually one of the things I like about this camera is how it has pushed me into experimenting with all manner of older lenses, and still kept me with the convienence of 120. Have fun.

SP

I've been using a 100 Apo-Sironar (Copal 0) with a Century. I needed a small spacer (1/8 in) washer when mounting the lens to allow the levers to clear the lensboard mounting sliders. The lens also has to be turned at the correct angle and the fstop lever set at the right point before the camera will close properly. I also use a 135 Linhof Symmar in older Synchro-Compur that fits with no problems. Over time I think that these lenses have proven to be better than the old 105mm f3.7 Ektar that I used to use. But it's not easy to tell and the f3.7 sure made for easier ground glass viewing. Chuck