used Elan 2e or New elan 7???

dave_heidebrecht

My second body is an ElanII and my wife uses a Elan7E. The metering of the 7E is ALWAYS bang on! I have to be careful and bracket, but she NEVER brackets. I have no problems using the ECF with the 7E, but it is very iffy with the EOS3. I hate the white strobe AF assist with the 7E, the near IR of the II is much better. It is much easier to get DOF preview with the 7E. Either one you get, make sure to get the Battery Pack, AE lock or CF4 AF is only available with the 7E.

I am very happy with both cameras. The ElanII may be a bit more work but if I could, I would trade it for a second Elan7E. I tried to trade my ElanII for a digital but the store was giving half of nothing for it. I should keep it for some time because, recently, I am spending my money on printing accessories.

Good luck

I am very happy with the Elan IIe. I bought it when they first came out and the only hitch now is that the manual release button for the flash no longer operates. When the camera knows that the flash is required it automatically pops up but when it does not need the flash and I want it anyway for fill then I have to flick it up manually. No big deal and otherwise terrific!

I have both and actually prefer the IIe over the 7e. The AF assist on the IIe is important to me as I ofter shoot without the 420ex flash. The 7e really hunts for focus in low light/contrast situations. I have big hands and the IIe feels more comfortable to me. I will soon add the BP-300 to my 7e to help with this.

I also have IIe and there is so little difference between it and 7e that, to me, it is not worth the change. As I've said, the only thing I don't like about the IIe is that it is chrome. However, if you don't know the history of the camera you are taking a chance. Were I in your position, I'd buy a new, warranteed body. You just never know with used. For example, I really miss my OM-1. I go to swap meets and the vendors have them but so far, the examples they have possess issues when they put batteries in to try out. They look nice but either the meter os off or there is some other problem. There is a lesson in that. Try all functions if you are going to buy used. And then take it, if allowed, to a camera shop that can test shutter speeds and light sealing. At the very least, trying to get a written guarantee would be best. On eBay, prices are good, but you might wind up with a non-functional unit.

I recently went through the same type of decision (I also strongly considered a used EOS-5). I finally decided on the Elan 7 (not 7E--a price and lack of real interest in ECF). While the better low light metering on the II and the non-flash autofocus assist interested me, the lack of very easy DOF preview was a big deciding factor. Combine that with the warrantee (and extending it to a total of 5 years with CANON cost me an additional $40 at Adorama) and my personal, though perhaps misplaced, preference for a black body and the Elan 7 won out (the EOS-5 scared me a little from the used standpoint, the selector knob issue and I really kind of wanted the quieter drive of the Elans). With the price of the 7E down to 299--with the 7 still at 289 (I paid 289 - 30 rebate for the Elan 7) and I probably would have opted for the 7E.

I don't think you can go wrong either way and another ~$100 for glass can certainly go to good use.

Paul

Dave

Now that you mention it, I got mine from Henry's, new, as a kit with the 28-80 zoom lens. I was able to trade the lens, here at a local store, for a BP50 (one for one).

Henry's is a good place, but you can also check here: http://www.vintagevisuals.com/canon.htm where they go from $325(Can) to $395(Can) and a BP50 for $65(Can).

You can also check here : http://www.mcbaincamera.com where they have the Elan7 on sale at $449(Can) and 7E at $499(Can). 1 used Elan7 at $339(Can).

I bought new and used gear from all the above and always had a very good experince.

Good luck

The choice between the 2e and 7e depend on what you're shooting. Personally I chose the 7 because of the true mirror lockup and DOF preview button. It is very important in my work. It is also very useful in the studio since it can do multiple wireless flash with ratio control. I no longer have to use a 3 for that. As for the AF tracking, it really works on the 7, but is sub-standard on the 2 even in bright light.

I wouldn't trade my Elan IIe for the 7e. You can pick up mint Elan IIe's so cheap now from the Bay and it is such a capable body with the right glass - which is where you should the difference.

Even when I recently bought an EOS3 I couldn't bring myself to part with it for such a low price. I use both body's equal amounts still.

Fantastic.

Probably. I couldn't tell you what the film advance sounds like, if that means anything.

I'd like to point out that the Elan II has both mirror lockup and DOF preview, if it's at all unclear. No dedicated button for the latter, though you can bind it to the AE lock button.

DI