WTB: Leica M4-2

kevin_sido1

I've also had my eye on a nice M4-2 for a while, and I'll probably look for one from a forum member when I have the money for it. The way I see it, the M4-P is slightly more expensive for a more cluttered viewfinder with extra framelines I'm not likely to use. The M6's meter is certainly appealing (plus it's a newer body), but lately I've really been trying to get away from using internal reflected meters. Plus, it's several hundred dollars more than an M4-2, and with my budget for the next year or two, that's money better put towards a lens. Of course, by the time I can actually afford the damn thing, I'll probably have a horrible time deciding which body to buy...

<<Plus, it's several hundred dollars more than an M4-2, and with my budget for the next year or two, that's money better put towards a lens>>

Or, depending on how the dice roll, you'll be putting it toward a CLA/repairs. Get an M6.

I just acquired an M4-2 in a trade and it's a nicer camera than internet rumors might lead you to believe. With its reputation in mind, I was planning on selling it immediately, but now I'm not so sure. It has the same clean framelines as the M4, (35/135, 50, 90) and so far seems less prone to flare than the M6 'classic' I owned. It has a hot shoe, and it's covered in vulcanite. Much nicer than the vinyl on the M6. Too bad it doesn't have a meter, but having a clean 50mm frame is so nice.

You might also keep your eye open for an M2. I have both an M2 and M4 and like them both, but from a subjective point of view I prefer the M2. Despite what you read on this forum, the prism separation is not a universal problem. Rapid load spools are/were? available for the M2 and M3 if you don't care for the removable spool on the M2.

M4-2 is the only camera that has the uncluttered viewfinder of the M4 and will take a TA rapidwinder. I rather dislike the M6's 90mm frameline compared to M4-2 and prior vf's. The 75 frameline is no use to me and clutters the otherwise clean 50 mm lines. 28mm likewise not needed by me and not visible to eyeglass wearers anyway (my Minolta CLE vf perfect for the 28). Otherwise has all the mid- 1960's Leica M improvements over the M2/M3 plus hot shoe. It is also the only affordable way to get a clean M4 type viewfinder camera in black finish without having to pay collector's prices for black paint. Dispite its detractors the M4-2 has a unique niche in the M world.

The M4-2 VF, I might add, does not suffer as much from the infamous late M4-P and M6 viewfinder flare. Its rangefinder vertical alignment adjustment doesn't need an expensive tool, just a screwdriver. Nor does it suffer from bearing attention gathering blemishes like a big red dot or 1 to 2 silvery bands on the VF window. Sure I miss a built in meter but I am more accurate with incident metering and once exposure is set I don't miss those big bright distracting LEDs in the VF. I can throw the camera, shutter cocked, into my bag and not worry about battery drain. The M4-2 is one of the cheapest M's to obtain yet was I believe the rarest M type Leica produced i.e. shortest production run of a M series.

I have a M4-2 which I am looking to sell (will put it E**y otherwise). Very good condition, no pics yet (don't have a digicam). Honest description: Slight scratches from Leicameter, otherwise almost perfect. Shutt sounds ok at all speeds (compared times acoustically with my M3) I will check later at home if there are specific other marks, if you are still interested after this description.

If you want, I can include the Leicameter, but it has a rather big dent (no scratch) near the window for the needle. This does not seem to have harmed it, the needle moves freely.

I have not taken any pictures with it. Why I bought it? I got it in a bundle deal and don't need it, just wanted the lenses, that is, some of them. Will sell the mint 135 and 90 mm lenses and keep the also mint 35/2 and 50/2 as well as the M6 :-)

Marcus

thanks for all the comments. My thinking is much the same as R Quan. I have an M7 and M6TTL. My checks on the price of an M4-2 suggest it is often rather inexpensive compared to M4's, even splendid M2's. I once had an M2 and did not like the film loading requirements compared to M4 and later. I don't need the 75 frame and the 28 is easy to estimate when needed. Thanks again.