EF 70-200MM F /2.8L & EF 24-70MM F2.8 Lreally worth that price???

rod_white

EF 70-200MM F /2.8L & EF 24-70MM F2.8 Lreally worth that price???

I am wondering if the price of these two lenses is truely justified.

I will ultimately need them for professional use and want really high

quality glass. Are there any independant labs that offer comparisons

between say these and Sigmas? Has anyone else been in this delima?

If you can give up the convenience of zooms you can build a nice set of primes (24/2.8,50/1.8,100/2,200/2.8L) for less money. The primes will perform better than the zooms too!

If you have to use zooms then yes these are worth it, but consider the used market as well to save a bunch. Good luck!

Keep reading Chasseur d'Images over the next few months (and the current issue) for some sophisticated computer based evaluations (using DXO Optics Pro) of lenses from the major manufacturers on different bodies. They already concluded that a 16-35 f/2.8 L looks very good on a 10D, but isn't worth it on a 1Ds.

I was in the same situation trying to decide on an indoor sports photography lens. I bit the bullet and bought the 70-200 2.8L IS. I've only had it for a couple weeks, but MAN what a difference from my trusty 75-300 IS lens. Focusing is faster, the lens is faster, the lens is MUCH sharper and it is much easier focusing by hand because the image is brighter. I wholeheartedly recommend the Canon 70-200L lens.

Just got the 24-70mm f2.8L and it is awesome. It is very well built but plenty heavy (not easily hung around your neck off a 10D). I would recommend handling one yourself if possible before buying. <a href="http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/24-70-review.shtml">Michael Reichman's take on it</a>.

My next lens will be the 16-35mm 2.8L and then the 70-200mm f2.8L. 24mm on the 10D is just not wide enough.

As for zoom vs. prime... that is your choice. On the weekend I was photographing a penguin colony and distance ranged from at my feet to a few meters away. I was on a beach, the wind was up, the surf breaking quite close by and I shudder to think what having to change between a few primes every few shots would have been like.

As my budget is limited I went primes like John. I have the 24/2.8, 35/2, 85/1.8 and 200/2.8. If I would have thought that zoom convenience is invaluable (and I don't, I had several zooms including two Ls) I'd surely get the 24-70/2.8 (or 16-35/2.8) + 70-200/2.8 IS.

Worth it ? That's subjective.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

Assuming you have a digital camera or are going that way, consider the 17-40F4L,70-200F4L and either the 50F1.4 or the 50F2.8 macro, I find shooting a 10D with 17-40F4L at high ASA's to be a non issue (yes I do use a copy of NeatImage to cleanup the noise).

I prefer to save money and use the slow zoom's vs a fast zoom without IS. The only issue with Sigma's is compability with electronics, once the lens is stopped being produced they will no longer rechip it for you.

Gerry

To some extent, I'm with Gerry.

I use a 10D with a 17-40 f4L (allegedly sharper or at least as good as the 2.8) and a 70-200 f4L and am more than happy with the results - very sharp! The result from the 50mm 1.8 is also very nice.

For less than half the price of the 2.8 versions I am happy to up the ISO to 200 or even 400 at which I find the noise acceptable.

I don't have experience with the 70-200 2.8L IS, but guess the IS is nice to have if money is no object, but I would'nt lose sleep over the 1 stop.

Good luck whatever, Steve

I went a slightly different route. I found a 28-70 L used for $750, in excellent condition.

Then I bought a 17-40 L. So for about the same as a 24-70 I have a wider range, and

pretty good glass. Ok, so there's more to carry, but I add my 70-200 f/4, and I have a

pretty complete kit of zooms.