EOS-1N shutter/curtain problem

rmp-images

Just bought a used EOS-1N body and am concerned after getting back

two rolls of film. Seems there is a black bar looking strip on the

left edge of some of the pictures, which leads me to think that the

curtain isn't opening all the way or there is a shutter synch

problem. Any recommendations?

It sounds like a problem known as "shutter bounce". And you are correct in that the shutter isn't opening all the way on some of the frames. The first curtain is catching in the rails, and the second curtain is closing the shutter before it fully opens. I'm afraid, if that is the case, then the shutter has a lot of wear and probably needs servicing or replacing. Not something one wants to hear when they just bought a camera. If you bought it from a local camera shop, my advice would be to take it back. If you bought it from an individual, then either have them take it back or send it in to have the problem corrected.

Most EOS-1N that I see on our local used market are from professional/journalist photographers. Which means very used and abused. I wish that there were a way to find out how many times the shutter was activated on those very high-end bodies.

Instead of getting a used 1N, I purchased a new EOS3 for almost the same price. If the price seems too good, this may be a sign that something is not right.

Good luck

• 2 months later...