questions about filters

genevieve_leigh

I am thinking of getting some filters for my lenses (polarizer, uv)

and am considering B+W. In regards to the polarizer can someone tell

me the difference between: circular polarizer v. circular polarizer

slim (i think slims are for wide angle lenses so would my canon 28-

135mm IS USM be considered wide?). also what about Kaesemann

circular polarizer...what does the Kaesemann part do?

In regards to uv filters, i looked at ones for my lens with a 77mm

filter size and there were 1) strong uv haze 2) uv haze slim 3)uv

haze mrc and 4) uv haze extra wide why all these complications

(slim, wide, etc) if it is supposed to fit exactly?

can someone help me figure this out? btw, if this helps, i wanted to

get filters for my lenses: 28-135mm/3.5-5.6 is usm (filter size

72mm) and 70-200mm/2.8 (77mm filter) -the latter a very nice gift so

u can understand why i want to protect it.

You're right: slim is for use with wide angles, but also for sticking two or even three filters together, even on normal (round 50mm) lenses. Why two filters? Let say you don't want to remove the UV when screwing on a close-up, a polarizer or a warming filter or even two of these.

28mm is wide angle, of course (anything below 500mm is), so at least for this lens go with slim. For the long zoom is not necessary, so if normal filters are cheaper go with these.

Most zooms are today contrast lenses, so I would suggest using Skylight instead of UV, but this is not strict.

Another issue, and a very serious one is to have good coating on filters. I would recommend you multicoating. Exceptions are polarizers, where you might find only simple coating on one side of the filter (the side to the lens - it is OK for this type of filters), and for soft-focus, diffusers, and other special effect filters, where coating is not available because of the irregular surface of the glass.

a while ago, i went through a ton of threads and read volumes of stuff on various filters. when i was done, i was convinced that hoya HMC filters had the most flare free coatings on their UV filters and they just happen to cost a lot less than B+W.

i doubt you will need a slim or wide filter for those lenses.

BW kaesemann polarizers are sealed so they are more resistant to delamination when treated to crappy conditions. they also claim that they are made to tighter tolarances. unless you venture to the harshest of conditions, this should be a waste of your money because the filter itself will need to be replaced due to scratches or whatever long before a regular polarizer will delaminate.

you can read more about BW filters here

http://www.schneideroptics.com/filters/filters_for_still_photography/

and take a look at hoya too

http://thkphoto.com/products/hoya/index.html

If you're using an digital SLR with a crop factor, such as Nikon's 1.5x or Canon's 1.3x (D1, D1 MkII) or 1.6x (10D, Digital Rebel), which give a narrower angle of view, and you don't see yourself going to a a full-frame DSLR for a while, there's no need for the extra expense of a slim filter.

For the same reason, the stock lens hoods are less effective on DSLRs than they could be. When I switched from Canon film cameras to their 10D I replaced the hood that came with my 17-40 f/4 L with the one they make for their 24 f/1.4 L.

Something you might want to consider is that most slim filters do not have any front threads (Heliopan slim filters probably do, though). So you will not be able to attach the lens cover while the filter is on.

Instead of a UV, my recommendation is to go for a skylight. The 77mm B+W KR1.5 MRC will fit the bill nicely. For the 72mm diameter lens, you will need to use a step up adaptor ring to be able to use the 77mm filter.

Consider buying one large diameter filter that will fit the Cokin P system holder. The size is usually referred to as Cokin Sprocket ring. Then you can use a spewcail filer like a circular polarizer with all of your lenses by buying the cheap adapter rings for the Cokin system.

Go to this site to learn more about the system. If you like it then you can decide whose filter to buy and use with the Cokin system. One choice are filters made by Singh Ray, which I use along with B + W filters.

http://www.geocities.com/cokinfiltersystem/howitworks.htm

http://www.singh-ray.com/

Joe Smith