Plaubel 6x9 Proshift SW - Any other owners?

waldemar

I just bought a not-so-cheap used Plaubel Proshift Superwide

and will try to use it in the next few weeks (waiting for good

weather). A shiftable 47 mm lens certanly sounded good to me

and i prefer the 6x9 format for architectural & landscape

photography to 6x7, which i used so far (Mamiya 7 with 43 mm).

Does anybody own this rather rare camera and can share his or

her experiences - handling, pic quality etc?

This is a very capable camera with adequate albeit limited movement. I bought mine used from Adorama several years ago. The optical viewfinder tilts to compensate for the rise (which can be used for the opposite effect when the camera is mounted upside down) and gives a fairly accurate composition. Rise and lateral shift movement cannot be operated simultaneously unlike the traditional view cameras but the relative compact size of the Plaubel makes up for this deficiency. Film loading is plain and simple just like any other roll film camera. The 47mm Super Angulon is tack sharp and gives adequate coverage for most architectural application equivalent to the 20mm in the 35mm format but the limited no-swing feature does give some very unflattering perspectives on the final print which takes some getting used to! There is some evident light fall-off at the edges but the big negatives affords you the luxury of cropping if you do not shoot transparencies. The zone focussing and non-metering features make the Plaubel a plain-Jane camera and the 6x9 can be an ideal compromising format between the otherwise smaller 6x6 and the 6x12 panorama. It is available in used mint condition for the $2000+ range and I remembered having seen one being available on ebay recently at a $2700 reserve. You would find the 20"x30" or even bigger enlargements from your lab justify this capital outlay with your 1st roll without any regret. Welcome to the club.

I bought mine on German ebay (www.ebay.de) for the equivalent

of $1750. It was delivered two days ago (clouds in Cologne...).

A Schneider-Kreuznach center-filter came with it, so i´m not too

worried about vignetting.

Basically i was thrilled by the possibility of shifting a super-wide

lens, since medium-format shift lenses usually have about a

rather weak 35 mm (in 35 mm-terms, i.e. 55 mm for a 4.5x6).

Paul, what is this limited no swing feature that gives you a

strange perpective? I don´t understand a word, admittedly (could

be my somewhat limited English).

I´d like to add, that i generally scan the developed slide film with

the Agfa Duoscan T2500 and use a 1290 Epson Photo printer

(1280 in the US) for the output. I´m using MF mostly, because i

cannot get decent scans from 35 mm on a regular basis. Some

scans from 35 mm are pretty good, when i used Velvia, a Zeiss

single focal and a tripod, but i rather shoot, say, 4.5x6 with Provia

400F, no tripod. Results are still better or at least on par with

35mm.

• 2 years later...

I have a Plaubel 6X9 Proshift to sell if anyones interested? I don't have the center filter for it but use Panotools to correct light fall off at small apertures after scanning. My experience has been remarkable with this camera and the comments I read regarding perpective distortion are unfounded as long as you use the spirit level built into the camera to keep the film plane vertical.

I want to upgrade my Bronica GS1 and need to sell the Plaubel to do so. - Steve Cullender fieldtrak@global.co.za

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad i didn't see Steve's offer a few weeks ago. I just picked up a Proshift that i bought on ebay in Germany, and I am absolutely delighted.

Other postings have mentioned limited movements, but I find them quite adequate, and as good as many field cameras. The actual image size is 56 x 83mm; the available shift is 13mm (horizontal) and 15mm rise (vertical). That's equivalent to about 27mm rise over a 4" vertical in a technical field camera. The whole camera weighs only slightly more than my Rollei 40mm Distagon, and has a wider image. The whole camera slips easily into a waist pack and even comes with its own fanny pack and neck strap.

I had worried about the limitations of the zone focus system, but my concerns were unfounded. The focus range is from 0.5M to infinity. There is no visual confirmation of the focus accuracy, but a hyperfocal distance scale is very convenient. If you are shooting architecture (or landscape), you probably want lots depth of field. There are positive stops at 2 meters and 5 meters. At the 2M stop the hyperfocal range at f22 is from 1 meter to infinity. Or, if you want maximal sharpness and don't need that much depth of field, at the 5M stop at f8 gives a hyperfocal range of about 9' to infinity.

I have used the schneider sa 47 with an arca swiss system and 6x7 backs, and fall-off was minimal. I avoided vignetting with a step-up filter ring, and used 67mm filters. The combo is quite effective, although I haven't tested it yet with the wider 69 format.

The viewfinder is excellent. The optical viewfinder is a good size, with a bright frame line and parralax correction marks. There is also a clever sports finder, and if you put your eye right up against the center circle, the outer frame gives you the same corners as the optical finder. There is also a parralax correction adjustment which works on both viewfinders. Both methods are also ingeniously coupled to rise and shift. Composition is as easy as with most rangefinders.

The camera also has outstanding ergonomics, with curves at both ends of the chassis which provide convenient hand grips for either hand. A plunger attached to cable release provides a "normal" right hand index finger release. Of course if you are on a tripod, you can use a traditional cable release with less vibration. The film counter is switchable between 120 and 220. Bubble levels on the top and the side are a great aid for architectural work, and make up for the absence of a gridded ground glass. Film loading is straightforward and direct, film advance is by a single-movement lever. The camera is expensive and hard to find, but if you need an architectural camera and want something that can be slipped into a waist pack, i don't know of any alternatives. Maybe someone will even start making them again, and they might even become more affordable.

• 2 months later...

Yes , I have this camera for sometimes and find it veri nice compared to my Hasselbld SWC/M with 38mm Biogon.The real advantage with Palubel is its ability to shift and that makes a lot of difference when shooting architecture.Then again I also like SWC/M because its a very "copact" to carry and shooting fast.The lens quality is superb on both cameras having almost no distortion.

Recently I tried to sell one of those (whichever) but didnt sell so not many people are looking for them!

Always use tripod when taking building shots and make sure everything technically is faultless and you will like the results.A good lite alternative to a 5x4. A new Alpa is also on the market with all the fecilities this Plaubel offers but at a whopping price.

• 6 months later...

In a previous comment I suggested that I had a Plaubel 6X9 Proshift SW for sale.

It has been sold (a sale I regret).

Am now using a Toyo Field 4X5 camera with a 6X12 back and while the results are spectacular the sheer bulk compared to the Plaubel plus using a view back result in fewer pictures being taken.

Steve Cullender - fieldtrak@global.co.za

It is almost impossible to overpraise this camera. It has a fantastic lens, it is quick and easy to use, you see what you get through the viewfinder and 20x24 prints combine sharpness (lets not forget film plane flatness etc) and tonality. It falls into that small group of cameras that one should never sell.

• 5 months later...
I am glad that I found one here in Brazil, I will get it tomorrow. After reading your comments I got anxious to buy one. I was dreaming of an ALPA 12 SWA but was not prepared to invest 10k. Alpa sells only the lenses for US$2,400.00. The good thing is that you can still get the center filter at B&H for US$240.00. Does any of you have pictures taken with it in the internet?

• 3 months later...

My photo career has taken me through the 21mm biogon for Contarex then Contax then

adapted for Leica M6 (!); 12, 15 and 21mm Voigtlanders on Minolta CL; several Brooks

Veriwide 100s and XLs; and a Furbringer 45mm apo-grandagon on a Brooks back

openedup to a double-square 56mm x 112mm neg. with lens and back shift.

(I am an architect-journalist, obviously)

I also have a PROSHIFT 6x9 with SA 5,6/47mm SN 13884 297 with signs of

use but the only non-cosmetic items to note are a small hairline crack on the top plate

near the bubble-level and the tripod mount (2 total) and a small ding next to the exposure

counter. The camera has been checked and photographic integrity is intact - photos are

outstanding.

I have used the camera for the last five years without problem but find myself using the

6x12 45mm Grandagon camera almost exclusively - so, if anyone is interested in

purchasing the Pro-Shift let me know at bmcc@libertysurf.fr (the camera and I live in

France).

Camera comes with original finder, red trip-cable and a male-male column allowing

camera to be mounted on a tripod for horizontal up- and down-shift.

(tripod is only way to get really satisfactory results if you are using 120 and going to the

trouble to shift, IMHO).

We'll find a fair price for someone who will use it.

Bert McCLURE

• 1 month later...