Best method to transfer from camera to computer?

I just bought the Cannon 10D. Can anybody give me a quick easy way

to move the pics from the camera to the computer using the software

they gave me. Oh, I also bought the Epson 2200 printer. The camera

came with some Canon software and the Epson came with it's

software. I loaded all the software and somehow I feel I am

duplicating and making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Should I use the 10D software or the Epson software, or do I need

both. Also what is the best way to file and store my photos if I

have a Zip Drive. How do I know what is on a disc if I need to find

it quickly?

You ask a lot in a short paragraph. Use the Canon software for now, the Epson

software has nothing to do with it, it's for the printer. The Zip is inadequate and

unreliable for your needs. Invest in a large, fast 7200 RPM, external HD with Firewire

or USB 2.0 connectivity or install same internally if you can expand your box. At some

point you need editing software and Photoshop is the standard. Photoshop Elements

is an inexpensive solution with the learning transferable to the full version at a later

date. Organizing your images can be done at several levels depending on the

software used and the time you wish to spend. I like folders within folders using the

name/date as criteria for a simple out. It's a data base problem with numerous

software solutions...jf

There is no way to speed up the absurdly slow transfer if you are connecting the camera directly to the computer. This is why nearly every Canon DSLR owner buys a card reader - they are much faster. Using the card reader, just transfer the entire DCIM file from the CF card to a folder in your computer and work from there. An additional benefit to the card reader is that you don't waste the camera's battery power.

"Should I use the 10D software or the Epson software, or do I need both?" Just to clarify Jerry's comment above, you need both, but they are for completely different things. The Canon software, which can be used with a card reader, is for downloading your files to the computer. The Epson software is essential for printing your images. So don't delete the Epson drivers.

Also, I fully agree that the zip drive is insufficient. Since you spent all that money for the 10D and the 2200, I assume you will be doing a lot of shooting. The idea of getting an external storage mechanism was a good one, because you will clog your hard drive with images after awhile. At the very least, buy a CD burner and transfer your images to CDs. A DVD burner is more expensive, but the DVD will hold a lot more info. I too am looking for a good piece software to organize my images. There are a few threads on that topic in the last month or so.

Hi Charles, you might want to check out: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/card-readers.shtml It's looking like a USB 2.0 card reader is the way to go, perhaps Firewire if you own a Mac. It sounds like you recently dove head-first into the digital waters, which can be frustrating. The camera's software and your printer's software do two entirely different things. Get ready to do some homework - particularly with that 2200 printer, which once you've profiled your monitor and papers you'll use, will make some stunning prints. But you can't just hit the print button and get good results, unfortunately. There are several good software packages for cataloging your images. Neither Epson nor Canon really have anything useful in that regard. I think it's safe to say that the forte' of both companies is hardware and not software. There are lots of good books on all this, and of course the Internet, but remember to creep, crawl, walk and then run. It'll take a while. Best wishes . . .