Scanning negs up to 7" x 5"

There are no current models that offer that capability at the price

you are looking for. The new Epson 4870 will scan 7x5, but it costs $450. Acer used to make really inexpensive scanners with transparency scanning up to 7x5 a couple of years ago. Other than that, you'd have

to look at used 8x10 transparency scanners.

<a href = "http://www.terragalleria.com/">Terra Galleria stock photo</a>

Ok, I am probbially going to get laughed at for this one, but this is what I had to do to scan some glass-plate negatives (ranging from 2-5 ish to 8x10 ish, no two were the same size) for a friend (read as, NO budget) but for what I did it worked fairly well.

Take a regular scanner, place the negative on the scanner, a white sheet of paper on top of that, and some sort of light above the whole thing. For my combination of everything, this auctially worked fairly well and i only had to adjust the setup for a few of the negs.

It make take a few scans to get it to work right, but theoreticly it is sound, take with a grain of salt, etc.etc.etc

Andrew

Andrew; laugh at me; I sometimes scan two halves of a gian negative; and manually stitch the two halves together; using the rubber stamp tool in Photoshop...This requires a HUGE amount of memory; alot of alignment issues; and some learning. I have been doing this along time. Sometimes these giant stiches will barf a stitch program; but work well with my manual method.

The Agfa ARCUS 1200 as well as several other AGFA scanners do transparencies up to 8"x10" without customizing or stitching. I know there is another brand as well using the same duoplate technology as AGFA (which left business on this field two years back). The Arcus 1200 needs a SCSII controller (often came with the set), but this is an easy to install card - cost "nothing" used. Used ARCUS pop up on e bay at sub $$100 as old-new stock - hard to beat. I now run mine on laptop using a PCMCIA-SCSII card - works excellent.