Engagement Photos--Inspire Me

melisa

I would still use some

conservative rules of portraiture for a result: Namely, I would have both of their sets of

eyes open. I would not picture them from their sides so I am looking into their ears,

either; this also exposes the length of their noses. You don't want to show imperfect

kisses.

<p>

Tennis has rules. That net, those lines, the restriction that you must use a certain

regulation type of ball. But these rules and placements creates a scene that an audience

can enjoy of players. <p>

In the same way, theatre and broadcasting have rules in camera/scene production. And

these rules are the result of the knowledge of pleasing a wide audience. Advertisers know

"how far they can go", too.

<p>

Later, when the couple sees the picture, the bride-to-be will look at her lips, and every

part of her face and body. She will ask herself if she looks fat. She will ask herself if you

made her look fat. She will look under her chin to see if you hid her double chin.

The way it really goes is that when people own pictures, they tend to find more 'errors' and

defects the longer they look at the picture.

<p> If you actually saw my engagement

pictures, you would see that I have gone way past traditional portraits. I put a fashioney

slant to it. I added sexiness; we did theatrical things to make the groom look like he was

"eating up the bride" (he was dressed in a top hat). I have put them on the floor. I just

can't go through all of my ideas of the past.

<p>

I keep a discipline of remembering their vanity and need to look good no

matter what I did with their bodies and placements.

<p>

Timber Borcherding timberborcherding

Colleen, I love your photo! Thank you for inspiring me, today. IMHO, the engagement picture is a great opportunity to get to know your client and to have a little fun too. This kiss was not posed; it was just one of those little moments in between shots. One that the client didn't expect and is now in a frame in their bedroom--guess they liked their imperfect kiss.<div>008Hcr-18030984.jpg.dfbb3e28ba39b033330d5cf73bfa0ed2.jpg</div>

The picture above is the kind of picture that I approve of. A vertical picture will also

display better in a vertical column in the newspaper. A horizontal picture will only be as

wide as is the column. Therefore, the horizontal picture will be tiny compared to all other

pictures on the page.

The next consideration is the background. If you submit a dark background picture to the

newspaper, the background will be flat, sort of ugly dark. Newsprint does not show detail

well in dark areas of a black and white photograph.

Yes, and this is another "rule" to follow: a good display on the newspaper page.

Professional photographers, some, make a consideration for how it will look actually

printed. I know that I do. Anyone can write me in the future if anyone has any additional

problems or questions on this matter. I am happy to be helpful.

Timber Borcherding timberborcherding

I'll just add that a "fashion photographer" style added to an engagement announcement is

a positive direction for this kind of picture. And this has been part of my style for years.

But fashion photographers break all kinds of rules to create their styles. A middleground

between "breaking all the rules" and tending to some rules is the photographer's duty to

be found.

So, I would find some inspiration in the freedom of the styles of fashion photography.

Just don't make them look so-o-o-o cool that their friends don't recognize them!