jiayao_zhao

First off, Happy Cristmas to all.

I am thinking of purchasing a tele lens in purpose of taking lotus

pictures in summer and occationally birds' pictures etc.I know above

mentioned two primes are praised by all users.If I add 1.4X lens on

EF300F4,will it be equil to EF400F5.6 in terms of image quality and

AF spead on my 10D? Will the advantage of two focal lenth compensates

the image and AF disadvange? If I add Ef400F5.6 with 1.4X lens,Will

my 10D's AF still work? Thanks for advice.

300f4 with 1.4x will be fairly close to 400/5.6 in sharpness, but not as good. 1.4x with 400/5.6 will disable AF on 10D for a good reason: it's too dim to focus accurately.It's probably a goodf idea to have 300/4 as IS will be available, and it weight about the same as 400/5.6.

I considered the 400 f/5.6 L for about a microsecond. Then I remembered that the

300 f/4L has IS, and all thoughts of the 400 flew right out the window. There are

detractors of IS, but unless you are permanently rooted to a 12 pound tripod, there's

no real choice aside from the 300 in my opinion.

Chances are, anyone who recommends against the 300 either...

1. Owns a 400 f/5.6 or the 300 f/4L NON-IS and doesn't want to admit that

anything's better...

2. Hasn't ever NOT used a tripod

3. Definately hasn't ever used the 300 f/4L IS

IS is absolutely amazing, and there's really no other choice once you use an IS lens.

The post above from andrew pretty much says it all.

And although the 400 5.6 might be a notch sharper when viewing a resulting slide, I know for a fact it wont show on the results when using a 10d (i've tried them all before buying: 300f4l, 300f4lIS, both with and without 1.4x, 400mm 5.6).

The added flexibility of the choice of 300mm or 420mm is a + with the 300, the IS is very valuable, EVEN when using a tripod (I use a tripod often, and can let the ballhead lose, framing freely, tripod takes away the 'swings', while the IS compensates for the movement introduces by my hands, believe me, its a great tool!). Additionally, the 300mm4L IS version focusses down to 150cm, and with a 1.4x or even 2x converter it makes a great semi-macro lens giving a very good working distance.

I did own a 400mm in the past (sigma 400mm 5.6 APO), and found there where many instances where 400mm was just a tad to long, and 5.6 was just a tad to slow. Also remember that with the 1.6x, a 400mm lens becomes 640mm!, without IS, indeed it needs to be permanently attached to a 10kg+ tripod.

Using the 300mm4lIS + 1.4x, i've managed to get handheld shots at 1/60! When it becomes to dark, or subject to close, I remove the 1.4x, and can continue in 50% of the light (even less as the decreased nr. of mm allows for slower speeds).

The 400 + 1.4x wont AF with the 10d (unless you tape a few contacts at the T.C.). With the 300 you have the choice of 1.4x with still excellent A.F., and can add a 2x later (taping the contacts), giving hitt-and-miss af (still usable under not-to-dark cercumstances).

No matter what your choice though, be prepared to work on your long lens technique, the "actual" focal lengths are 1.6x the lenses, making the 300mm almost a 500m!, and with the 1.4x those 420mm almost become a whopping 700mm.

It took me some time to get things right for various situations, here are my findings:

300mm F4l IS (with or without TC):

Shutterspeed < 1/2 -> Tripod, "Fixed", IS off, selftimer

Shutterspeed 1/4 to 1/15 -> Tripod, "Fixed", IS off, MLU , selftimer

Shutterspeed 1/30 to 1/60 -> Tripod, "lose ballhead", IS on

Shutterspeed >=1/60 -> Handheld, IS on

Needles to say, with the 1.4x, the succesration of 'lose-ballhead' and 'handheld' when below 1/200 decrease a bit, but on the tripod, at 1/60 with IS on, 75% of my images are tack-sharp (after quite some practice though!), handheld, that falls to about 25%.

For what it's worth, whenever I can, I will use a tripod. But from the car window, or when walking and unexpectedly seeing that bird, deer, or hot-chick ;) , the IS saves the day.

Additionally, in low light (but staying at 1/60 or above), no longer do I miss shots because I have to "frame -> tighten ballhead -> hands of the camera, confirm framing, all-clear, use cable release", you can imagine that anything else then a landscape has moved between the framing and release part....

Anyhow, thats just my 2cts.

Just to throw a couple of other thoughts into the mix:

the 400 F5.6L has the fastest autofocus, the 300 F4 is next but with a converter it is slower still. For fast moving subjects the 400 is the best lens.

Having said that, on the 10D the 400 is an effective 640mm lens, so that may actually be a tad long for most applications. The 300 F4L IS is the most versatile choice, as has been pointed out already. The IS and close focusing make this lens pretty useful.

Jiayao,

I think both lenses are very good and it ultimately depends on your priority (ies) with regard to what you want to shoot. Wheras I don`t disagree on the IS technology, bear in mind that many good photographers still do use non IS versions. Just to give you a flavor, visit G.Hopkins site (http://www.naturesglory.net/biography.html). She shoots with the 400/5.6L

Best luck in your choice,

Wim