Guidance wanted

chandan_sarkar

Hello,

I want to have a clear cut guidance about Nikon FA Lens compatibility.

I am looking forward to buy a nikon FA, but the lens compatibility a

bit confusing for it. If I buy a zoom like-"Sigma 28-70mm 1:2.8 72mm

zoom lens AF(basically came with F4)", will it be ok with FA too or I

have to look for something else.

Regards,

Chandan

Yes, that lens will work fine. Any AF lens other than a G-series lens will work fine on the FA. AIS and AI lenses also work fine, and a non-AI lens that has been modified to work with AI bodies will also work. The latter just won't support the early version of matrix metering in the FA nor will it give you full read-outs in the viewfinder. It will support all automation modes, however (M, A, S, and P).

Yes, any AF (non G-type) will work fine, so will any AIS lens. AI lenses work perfectly if you use manual or aperture-priority, so-so otherwise. AI'd lenses don't allow matrix metering and make the camera fall back to center-weighed.

Hello!

I am sorry if this is too basic, but be sure that any thrid party lens (Sigma, Tonkina, Tamron, etc.) you buy is in NIKON mount. So if you see such a thrid party lens for sale in a your local photo shop make sure you check the mount it is mated to, and don't just assume it'll fit.

If you're buying on eBay, or the classifieds here, the seller will almost always list the mount.

I'm sure you know this, but just wanted to help anybody who reads this and isn't positive.

Matthew