Leica M7 Failure

otto_hinrichs

Heard repeatedly from reliable sources that Leica M7 is a

technological and marketing failure (bad meter control of shutter /

viewfinder full of useless distracting information and flashing

warning lights)and release/launch of Leica MP is proof of Leica

desparation to avoid bankrupty. What truth ???

All your potests are reassuring but then why the MP? - If battery failure in the M7 is unknown, shutter speeds in the M7 more accurate and overiding DX film speed not an issue despite a continuous flashing warning diode in the viewfinder, then the M7 should blow the MP away in auto and manual mode. So one more time WHY the MP, if not to combat failing sales of the M7?

1. This post is clearly a troll

2. The MP was introduced as a "retro mechanical" model, not an M7 replacement.

3. I've never heard of anyone with severe or serious M7 issues. Mine works great.

4. Bad meter control? I've never had any meter or shutter issues.

5. Useless and distracting information? Compares to the modern, AF camera, it's positively sparten: shutter speed in AE and arrows/dot in manual, + tiny dots for warnings.

6. Flashing warning lights? Yea, they flash when you do something wrong or want to override the camera. Ignore it.

7. Leica may still go under, but with LVMH behind them, I doubt it. The R line will be the first thing to go if any draconian measures happen. The digital line is coming along just fine with Panasonic footing most of the development bill.

Hey, I love automation as much as the next guy, but I bought my MP because there are times when I wish to be independant of batteries. Although automation can be fun and convenient, I'll never trust it completely and surrender all control to a robot. Also, I'm an old fart, and the controls of the MP are the sort of controls upon which I cut my teeth in photography. Yes, the MP is "retro", but so am I! Best wishes, Bill. OK, Otto, troll away!!

Good Doctor (I hope),

A user, new or not, deserves a serious answer to a serious question. With the advent of digital, etc., one has to ask before buying, as I interpreted the post to suggest; read between the lines. Were you trolling with your third post about protective filters, that had been hashed over ad infinitum?

BTW, don't get intellectual with your comments. Need I remind you, an M.D. degree is a matter of choice, not as a sign of superiority, as 50% of all that apply are accepted. So, get off your high horse.