Cleaning battery plates

r s

I've noticed that some of the cameras I get have really dirty,

corroded, scratched, etc battery 'plates' in the inside of the

cameras. Some of my later acquisitions doesn't recognize that I put a

battery in and I'm starting to think that it's because of just this.

Is there any one out there with some clever suggestions on how to

clean these metal pieces (what to use, etc)?

Two suggestions:

1. Electrical contact cleaner (In the U.S. you can buy it at Radio Shack in spray cans)

2. If the contacts are not plated or spraying with contact cleaner doesn't solve the problem use an eraser. (If the contacts are plated try to avoid the use of abrasives in cleaning them.)

HTH

Jerry, thanks for the suggestions - I will check it out.

(I was also thinking that it might be a good idea to put the cleaning fluid on just a q-tip and use that to clean the plates rather than spraying into the camera battery compartment)?

I use Clorox Wipes to clean the compartment + contacts. However, you should scratch ( YES scratch ) the metal contacts with a sharp item to reveal "fresh" metal. If you dont, sometimes a coating remains and the battery wont make contact. I usuallt take a screwdriver and scratch the metal....It doesnt look great - but it works....<p>

Visit www.antiquecameras.net

In photo shops you can get a pencil-like device called 'Battery saver'. It is a felt tip pencil containing some mildly acidous fluid which can clean off quite a bit of dirt.

Scratching the metal until it is 'shiny' again is not always a good idea. Most of the battery contacts are nickel or chrome plated metal (mostly steel sheet), and scratching this coating deeply can be the cause of further corrosion in the future. In some cases I cleaned the metal and soldered a small piece of nickel plated thin steel sheet onto it (of course without getting solder tin on the upper surface).

You're fighting chemical deposits, then corrosion. I start with nothing more than a wet Q-tip. If that doesn't do it, try an ink eraser. The usual rubber eraser won't do much; you need the abrasive embeded in the ink type. A small piece of Scotch-Brite held in a hemostat (or whatever) can be effective, as can some metal polishes like Semichrome or similar but much cheaper Mother's Mag Wheel Polish (see your auto dealer), on a Q-tip. Don't forget to clean up the battery cap. It may look clean, but can have a thin film of stuff on it. Clean out the cleaners when done. Also, make sure the lower contact has enough spring force to keep the battery under tension. I wouldn't go in and just scratch things, as it's a point contact at best, subject to rapid re-oxidation, and as stated, looks bad. If a professional service outfit ever did that to a camera of mine, they could expect a rather unpleasant reaction! OTOH, if the area is corroded really badly, you do what you've gotta do to get through it.

You can also use a glass fiber pen to clean the metal and then

clean the dust away with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol or something

similar. These pens have replaceable tips and are very handy for

all dirty contacts or batteries - they won't harm the shiny nickel

surface if you stop in time. What I don't know myself is what to do

after that when it becomes apparent that the corrosion has

attacked the plate so severely that the shiny nickel coatings is

gone... the bare metal will remain vulnerable for oxidation and

corrosion, but I don't see how you can re-plate the contact...