vivitar 90mm 2.8 macro

dan_ling

Ooops, I thought I read Tamron but now I notice you said "Vivitar".

Do vivitar make any 90mm macros? I know they have a 100mm macro that goes up to 1:2 (and 1:1 with an accessory diopter included with the lens) and that lens is a great performer for the money.

Dan,

I had a Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 that was an older design. I believe it was early 1970's vintage. It was a heavy, all metal mount lens, that had a doubled focusing helicoid so that it could focus all the way out to 1/1 without any extension tubes or diopter lenses. The fact that I no longer have it could be interpreted to mean that I wasn't terribly impressed with it. Optical performance was not equal to modern designs. And despite the fact that the diaphram was clean and dry, it had an annoying propensity to stick when that long focus mount was extended towards its limit. If we're talking about the same lens, I give it a thumbs down rating, or at least advise that you fully test any one your considering buying.

Dan

Are you sure it's not the Vivitar 100mm 2.8, which is a copy of the phenomenal Kiron 105 2.8 macro. The 90mm 2.5 Viv Series 1 was designed by Vivitar, and made by Tokina, and is a very good lens. One of the best macro's ever made. By all means, check out the Kiron 105 2.8 macro. The best ever made. By anyone!

QLP