No more Epson....I have had it with clogged heads!

I a\put my Epson in the dumpster! I bought a Canon i900D 2 months

ago. What a great printer. I was just about to purchase the i9100

wide body when I heard about the new i9900 coming out May 15. 8

tanks, new red and green tank added for greater saturation and over

6000 nozzles, user replaceable. Has anyone heard more about this

printer?

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20040209_i9900.html

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=9870&section=10214

BTW, maybe I'm lucky but I've not had such bad luck with either my Epson 2200 or 870 printers. I think both Canon and Epson have missed the boat (so far) with high quality B&W inkjet printing. Seems Canon added a red and green cartridge to the mix on the i9900 which may or may not help color prints. Seems like more ink to buy - 8 cartridges worth instead of 6 and no mention of improved B&W. Good luck!

I must have been lucky with my Epson C82. I had one cartridge clog very early (within a week, I think, which got fixed by replacing the cartridge), and I haven't had a single clogged nozzle, I never ever ran a single head cleaning, I've printed hundreds of sheets with it.

My 777 also didn't give me any trouble as long as I remembered to turn it off after printing (for a while I used to leave it on for a while and it would eventually slightly clog, nothing that a single head-cleaning wouldn't fix).

I'm holding my breath for a 13" version of the R800.

Well good for you. Hope you find printer heaven with your Canon. But, and there is a but, all printers have their issues.

Canon printers heads are user replaceable and there is a reason for it. Also there have been banding reports with these printers. Third don't ever, ever put carbon pigment inks into a Canon printer or you'll get a clog from hell! Garanteed.

Epson printers do require maintenance. That's a fact of life. But it can be done and its pretty simple. I've had my Epson 1160 printer since the summer of 2000 (going on 4 years now) and it's still going great. I've been using a third party carbon pigment inkset since I bought it.

For anyone reading this and wanting to maintain their Epson printers, here a good link to follow:

http://www.mwords.co.uk/pages/printers/printersHowDoI.htm

And I hope the original poster, D. Weissmann, finally find peace with his new Canon printer.

New HP's coming. HP DesignJet 30 and HP DesignJet 130 inkjet. the 30 is 13 x 19 and the 130 I think is 18 x 24. These are the one I'm waiting for now. Using the right paper longevitity will be more than the canon. 76 years color, 115 years b/w. And being a dye printer the colors should be great too. I'm not saying the Canon is bad. The i9900 sounds great too.

Rick

I've had way too many clogged heads with Epsons. Maybe if you print all the time you

could be OK. Too much frustration for me. I just hope my Canon longevity is as good. I've

read online here that tests show otherwise. I don't think anyone will know for sure until 10

to 20 years have actually passed.