How many Shutter Activations for a D30?

steve_simons

D30's are seeming to be more and more scarce now, and recently I

recieved an email offering my a D30 for a pretty good price,

everything in good shape except there's been over 13,000 photos taken

with it. I think the max for these cameras was 100,000 to 200,000...

or was it 10,000 to 20,000? Just checking to see if this is too many

photos and I should look for a "newer" one, or if this'll be fine.

<i>As far as I know (hearsay), it has an internal counter that stops the shutter at 30.000 (or was it 60.000?) cycles.</i><p>Don't know where you heard that, but it's a load of BS. Maybe someone's shutter has failed at 30,000 or 60,000 actuations, but there is no counter that stops/shuts off the shutter after a certain number. It simply works until it fails.<p>I felt like an idiot calling Canon to confirm this, but it gave the techs a good long laugh!

Thank you Maureen for getting first hand information! I don't have a D30 but I read a lot of rumors, speculations, hearsay etc on all kinds of issues here. And sometimes it leaves me thinking: Is it true? What should I do now? Find out for myself? It just occupies me and uses up my energy.

So its very good to have people around like you, Maureen, who go the extra mile, get the information and settle the issue.

Thanks!

Johannes

You can expect something like 30,000 to 50,000 cycles before failure. A few might fail at 20,000, a few might fail at 75,000, but the mean lifetime is in the 30,000 to 50,000 range.

I know one photographer who had shutters on two D30s replaced and they both failed in that range.

The longest MTTF (mean time to failure) is, I think, 150,000 cycles for the new 1D. The longest shutter life I've seen from actual test reports is something over 400,000 cycles for an EOS-3 shutter (which is rated for 100,000 cycles).

Shutter replacement should cost in the $250-$300 range.