My basic need is to have a lens or two that covers portrait, macro

and tele-photo usage. I want to buy one or two of the following

three for covering my objectives. I need your help/suggestions in

deciding what lens (one)/lenses(max two):

1. Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L - Obvious Telephoto. Is it good for

Portraits and Macro ?

2. Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro: Obvious Macro lens. Is it good

for Portrait?

3. Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Supposed to be an excelent Portrait lens.

Is it good for any Macro work?

My thinking is that I may be needing one of the following two

combinations:

1. Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L for telephoto and portrait and Canon EF

100mm f/2.8 USM for Macro and possible Portrait.

2. Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L for telephoto and Macro and Canon EF 85mm

f/1.8 for portrait and possible macro work.

Please help me decide which way I should go? If you sugegst only one

lens is needed, it will be a huge thing economically.

70-200 f4 is an excellent zoom throughout its range. I have both f4 and f2.8 IS, very nice for portrait. Like them very much. Excellent image quality. But if you really need macro capability, 100mm f2.8 macro is a very sharp lens, also a nice portrait lens, though some people complain it's too sharp for portrait.

Rakesh, of the lenses you mention I have only the 100mm macro 2.8. I bought it because I like macro and love portrait work. It is very sharp and beautiful to use. It is a lot cheaper than the 70-200, and can be used for macro without all the extenders, close-up filters etc and would be better than the 70-200 for portraits as well. You would be missing on the 100-200mm range, so how important is this to you? I would go with the 100mm macro. I think the 85mm is basically a great portrait lens and not much else. That's my opinion anyway. Having said that....I still crave a beautiful white L zoom!

For both macro and portraits you can't beat the 100/2.8 macro USM. For telephoto, why not consider the 200/2.8 ? The lower end of the zoom is already covered and if you buy the prime you get a smaller, lighter (though not by much) black lens which is both less conspicuous and a stop faster.

BTW, I had the 70-200/4 and currently have 85/1.8 and 200/2.8. I like them much better. If I were interested in macro I'd go for the 100/2.8 macro USM instead of the 85/1.8.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

My understanding from the responses is...I can go for canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro for both portraits and Macro work. I know that it is an excellent Macro lens...But how good is 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro for portriture compaed to canon EF 85mm f/1.8?

I can buy either 70-200mm f/4L or canon EF 200mm f/2.8 for telephoto. Since my preference is to own a zoom, if it is rated an L, I am considering 70-200mm f/4L

I apologise for posting too many qestions...conisdering 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro for portraits and Macro work...I have one more question. I know that there is an earlier version of the lens namely canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro which is not a USM version. Comparing these two versions, which lens is recommended for portraits and macro usage?

Rakesh, i won't try and tell you which lens to purchase, but i will tell you my experience with the 70-200 f4 and the 85 1.8 for portrait work. Unless you have a "set" location (studio) that you do your portrait work in you will more than likely need more than one lens. For outdoor portrait shoots the 70-200 will come in very handy at times and can produce some nice images. The 85 1.8 is my lens of choice doing outdoor shoots. Indoors the 85mm can be a little long for full to 3/4 shots, i just placed my order through B&H for a 50 1.4. My point being that all these lens have their place in the portrait/glamour world and i would not want to confine myself or my subject to the limitations of only one lens. But if "i" had to chose only one (again depending on the size of your studio) i would chose the 85 1.8.<p>Art

Just to let you know, I have a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Make-I and I am very happy with that lens. I also have a canon EF 24mm f/2.8 wide angle prime. So having a 50mm and buying a 85mm may be too close. That is why I had the confusion about canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro's capability for portraits againt 85mm f/1.8 for portraits. I do have a feeling that I will be buying the 70-200mm f/4L as most of the poeple gave glowing reviews for this lens.