Help a newbie to 6x7 MF?

casey mcallister

I�m new to MF but experienced in 35MM and DSLR; the concepts of

photography are VERY well heeled! Most of the stuff I do is indoor,

low light people stuff. So what would you suggest that filled the

following needs for:

1) Large MF. (No 6 x 4.5 [What�s the point if your going to

MF�do it right�go monster�6x6 or 6X7.])

2) TTL Flash with center weighted and hopefully spot metering.

3) Auto focus / switchable to MF w/ split prism for BALLS on

accuracy .Yes�I miss my old 1980�s mechanical but DEADLY accurate

split prism focusing ability!!!

4) Eye level view vender. - Sorry for being a snob here, but

it�s the only way I�ve ever shot! Furthermore, I�ve gone part time

commercial and �modern image� counts. WL is nice but it�s not what I

want.

5) Much better than average lense optics as far as lenses are

concerned!!!

6) No need for digital back.

7) Used is OK. Desired lense equivalent for 35mm SLR lenses

for 28-135MM

8) Primes as apposed to zooms

9) Budget = Limited �Go figure! Ergo less than 1.5K for

camera + portrait lense

So what cameras fit the bill?

I think 645 is the largest format with AF - I don't think you'll find one in 6x7 or 6x6. The ttl flash and metering should not be a problem

If your a 35mm shooter, you'll probably want 6x7 - you're gonna crop rectangular with 6x6 - thus loosing the "monster" of 6x6 - though I shoot both formats and the difference - even uncropped is negligable.

and you want to spend about $1500? My first suggestion is either a Pentax 67 or a Mamiya 7II RF -

The Pentax 67 makes sense, but if you're planning to do portraits the Mamiya 7 (a rangefinder) is not a good idea because it will present critical focusing problems up close.

My perennial 6x7 recommendation is the Bronica GS-1, which meets all your specs except the autofocus (not available on any 6x7 I know of) and spot metering (likewise). They're very affordable on the used market, with good build quality, excellent optics, TTL, AE prism, and the flexibility to shoot in 6x4.5, 6x6, or 6x7 formats.

The Pentax 67 is a good fit. You'll need the more expensive 67 II body for TTL flash and matrix/spot metering, though. If you buy used you might manage the 67 II body and one lens within your budget. I recently bought a 67 II body for $1200 on the big auction site.

"Most of the stuff I do is indoor, low light people stuff."

Boy, that's your toughest requirement of all. "Handheld," "low light," and "6x6

or 6x7" do not go well together; few lenses are useable (or available) at

anything faster than 2.8, especially above the "normal" focal lengths, and the

big SLRs have big mirrors that go "thonk" and therefore make handholding in

low light generally impractical (oh, someone can post a photo they shot in a

nightclub with a Hassy or such, but will anyone here say that a large SLR is

the best tool for this job?). If you're willing to use a tripod and/or a powerful

flash, of course, low-light MF photography is plenty practical.

And then there's your budget. I guess I'd recommend a Mamiya 7 w/ an 80 or

a 150 and a case of ISO 800 film, pushed even further as necessary (although

one could argue "What's the point [of] going to MF and then shooting grainier

film?"). But I think a Leica M with a fast 50 might be more up your alley.

Perhaps if you lost the image thing, you'd be more than "part time"?

What you seem to want is a confusing mixture of the advantages of 35mm with the advantages of MF. Sorry - it doesn't exist. Both have relative strenghs and weaknesses. You have to figure that if there were a single system which did all this (for $1500 too....), everyone would be shooting it.

I'm probably not nearly as well heeled as you, because my clients don't mind if I use a view camera, TLR or a rangefinder (they pretty much all just pay for the images) but it sounds to me like, for what you're shooting, digital would be a better solution than film.

You could get a Rollei 6006 2nd hand, but you will give up autofocus. The 45 degree prism finder and the TTL flash along with the basic 80mm lens would slide in under your budget, but if you went for a great fast telephoto lens for portraits, like the 180mm f2.8 Schneider, you'll blow your budget way out of the water. That lens alone will consume your budget. OTOH, you could drop down to a 150mm f4 Zeiss Sonnar which could be had for around $400 or so 2nd hand.

The 6008AF instead of a 6006 will give you autofocus, but you'll destroy your budget again. And as mentioned, no 6x7 offers autofocus.

TTL flash also limits your MF choices severely. If both of those features were dropped, the horizons expand greatly, bringing the Mamiya RZ67 and the earlier Pentax 67 into play (the Pentax 67II adds AE and TTL flash, but either blows your budget or barely fits under it). Also any of the older Hasselblads would now join the fray.

Personally, I'd forgo TTL flash, and get a good non-TTL autoflash setup, which will work on ANY camera. I've really never missed TTL flash as a feature.

I shoot 645 and 6X7 and find the 645 a radical quality leap from 35mm and the increment from 645 to 6X7 not so meaningful. I tend to seldom print bigger than 11X14 so that has an effect on my format perspective, too. I'd consider a Pentax 645 if you're set on medium format with the features (and budget limits) you're seeking. Buy one right and you can likely sell it for the same money if it doesn't fit your needs. I predict you'll be very pleased with the image quality in comparison to 35mm in most applications.

As written above, you'll have to give up the autofocus on any 6x7.

The Mamyia 7 / 7II are great. But the max aperture is 4, so with low light, you might need

a tripod. That said, I often use mine at 1/8th or 1/4 of a second handheld. The abscence

of mirror and the central shutter makes it possible. AND lenses are great !

The Pentax I do not use. To my knowledge, it is a reflex and is not usable at these speeds

handheld. It is also heavier and bigger...

MF really is different from 35mm shooting. When I "stepped up" (about 15 years ago) I bought a prism finder for my Hasselblad cause, like you, I thought that's the only way to go. A year later I sold it and am using the wasitlevel finder ever since. You will find, that with your new equipment, your skills, needs and interests will change too. It's virtually impossible to find out what you REALLY need, until you spend significant time with it.

If your main interest is indoor, low-light photography you might be better advised with the faster lenses availabe for 35mm cameras (f1.0 noctilux on a Leica for example), than the more typical f4.0 in MF.

6x7 you want? RZ67 you get... Go used and get it at KEH (yes, an unpaid endorsement). The Mamiya RZ67 will probably do exactly what you're looking for. Skip the RZ67 Pro II body, as this will put you over your price limit. Get an RZ67 body @ $400 or so, an AE prism for about the same, a back for $140-ish, and then spend the rest on a lens of your choice. If you want a portrait lens, you're looking at appx a 200mm or 250mm for this format. You can probably squeak in right at your budgeted range. Be ready for a giant, heavy body that only the Governator would hand-hold for any length of time, so make sure your tripod is studio-ready. The RZ67 offers a wide range of focusing screens, including a split-field one as I believe you said you were looking for.<br><br>If you go with KEH, call them to place the order, and ask the sales rep to have a body pulled for you that has a split-screen focusing screen. So what's the total damage? RZ67 no waistlevel: $365; 250mm lens: $665; AE prism: $365; 120 back: $140. Total, with $30 shipping: $1565, or 4.3% overbudget. If Hollywood were only so lucky.

Hi

Like Lenny above I would agree that you can hand hold a Mamiya 7II down to low shutter speeds. It is not TTL and not autofocus but once you get used to the rangefinder focusing it is a sweet camera to use.

it is also very quiet so you can work unobtrusively - you didn't mention whether the images were of people in a studio or of people in an environment where they didn't know they were being photographed (events etc).

Anyway, the 80mm lens is ok but possibly a bit wide - depends on whether you need to make head shots full frame (no chance with this!) but if you go for the more classical bust shot then should be fine or even with the 150mm lens.

I think (like others) that you will have trouble finding the right camera to fulfill all of the requiements. Just an opinion.

I would (and have...) gone for a Bronica GS1 outfit. It is a 6x7 addition to my 6x6/6x4.5 Rollei 6006/08 system. I enjoy the big 6x7 format so much (even being very satisfied with the Rollei), that when prices on used GS1 equipment fell & became friendly (It's/were hideously expensive new) I bought a set with 65mm WA & 110mm (extremely sharp) macro + mags' & finders. You will have the metered finder, incl. a rotating one ideal for studio shots upright, and You will have a shoe-mounted TTL flash (not to strong, 32, but good for fill inn) with cordless synck trough the speed-grip - which makes the camera as fast as the Pentax 6x7. I have been veryy satisfied with the GS1 so far, trying to find a 50mm superwide for it. I have used Pentax 6x7 & 67, finding the lack of fast-change magazines negative, and having a few dissappointments with the contrast of the lenses (being used to the Rollei-Zeiss stiff...), but the Boronica did not let me down in that department - very superb optics, and leaf shutters = flash sync at all speed in all lenses as +. You ought to be up & go with two lenses + flash, speed grip & a few mags for $$ 1500 if You shop around a little - MF is terribly under pressure these days (good for us!).