a great deal. i took it out to valley forge national park and took

great morning shots of red foxs.. these pictures where some of the

best i have ever taken with medium telephoto lens...with my 10D the

lense was at 384-960mm at 5.6. These shots came out really nice and

the lense has a lot of power for its size. just wanted to share my

experience with the lens and ask if anyone else has anything to say

about the lens before i go buy it!

thanks

Like you, I had access to the lens for only a short period of time (actually, less than 48 hours). With a friend we compared it to the Sigma 100-300, straight f4.0. In the end, we didnt have any optical-build quality concerns with the 120-300, which is an excellent zoom lens by any standard. It came down to other considerations, for my associate, namely, filter size, weight, and eventually, cost. The 120-300 is, or at least was, nearly 2.5x more expensive than the f4.0, and since my associate uses filters quite often, the 105mm meant a serious expense for him, mostly since his current filter collections are 52mm, 67mm, and 82mm. Weight was a factor, with the 120-300 being 1200g more, and the f4.0 was easier to handhold. I would not be too concerned with compatibility, in the future, not with a lens of this generation. I think Sigma is up on potential problems and "adaptability" is now built into the design. Even on older Sigma-EOS fast lenses, I have had them rechipped for free, since I was the original owner of them. If you really need f2.8 in a long zoom, and filters are no concern to you, this is probably your lens. I would say that the Sigma 100-300 f4.0 is a fantastic lens and the only reason I can think of for why it is not much talked about is that, at least for EOS users, they can get the excellent EOS L 70-200 f4.0 for less money, but this is only a guess on my part.

For the same price of the Sigma 120-300/2.8 I'd get the Canon 70-200/2.8 IS + 1.4X TC. I'd get:

1. Much more reasonable filter size (77mm vs. 105mm). Cost difference is significant.

2. Three stops IS.

3. Much lower weight, almost 1 Kg.

4. The combination of 2 and 3 makes it a very capable while hand-holding. Users frequently report sharp pictures at 200mm at 1/30. At 2.6 Kg and no IS you're much less likely to get sharp pictures at speeds even remotely close to this.

5. Complete freedom from any possible future incompatibility problems. Sigma re-chips its lenses only if the lens is still in production (just imagine that they'll make an OS version) AND if it's less than 5 years of its production AND if you are the original owner AND if you still have the original receipt. Some importers in some countries (e.g. Israel) makes your life very difficult for any re-chipping. Don't know why. A note: I have no personal experience here, just a lot of reading (search this site) and talking to friends.

6. Much better re-sale value. Third party lenses go for about 40-50% when in mint condition while Canon primes and Ls go for about 80%-90%. BTW, my personal experience here is 50%-55% and 100%-105%.

What I'd lose? Oh, in the 200mm-300mm range I'll have f/4 and not f/2.8. Don't know what about you but I certainly think it's worth it.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

"...Sigma re-chips its lenses only if the lens is still in production (just imagine that they'll make an OS version) AND if it's less than 5 years of its production AND if you are the original owner AND if you still have the original receipt ... I have no personal experience here, just a lot of reading ..."

There are times when having experience matters; this is one of them. I have had different Sigma lenses re-chipped, at different times in recent years, when, for different reasons, I simply did not meet some or most of the criteria you just listed. You are simply factually mistaken regarding re-chipping. You are confusing these things, and perhaps more: (1) Old lens designs with new (irrespective of years of manufacture, or actual production date of the lens); (2) Rechipping done for free, and rechipping "at-cost". Some Sigma lenses cannot be re-chipped, others can. I have never paid to have my lenses re-chipped.

"Much better re-sale value. Third party lenses go for about 40-50% when in mint condition"

This is more than an exaggeration; it is simply, flat-out, NOT true. Definitly not true regarding FAST or specialty lenses. Try finding these lenses on ebay for 40% of the cost from the NY sellers: Sigma 14mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Sigma 100-300 f4, Sigma 300-800mm, Sigma 500mm f4.5, Sigma 105mm macro, Sigma 180mm macro, Tamron 90mm macro, Tamron 180mm macro, Tamron 300mm f2.8, etc., etc., etc. You wont. There is no reason to compare the lens asked about (a very pricey straight f2.8 zoom), to small, mostly-plastic consumer zooms, which, TRUE, bring very little money on the used market. For zooms and portraits we use Canon EOS, but wide, tele, and macro we have always used Sigma and never had a problem, and never took much of a loss when I sold items used, nor do I know anyone who has.

• 2 years later...

I found only two small problems when I got my 120-300 f/2.8:

the Heliopan filter was a hair too wide to fit the lens hood on.

the factory lens cap has padded material inside which leaves marks on the glass.

Other than draining my credit card it's a fantastic lens. Will test it out shortly.