No Words - Macro studies

gib

Frank, what lighting was used? The results are great. I'm still having fits with my 990

and flash. I hate the built in red eye guarantee unit, and my SB22s likes to blow out

everything is sight, sometimes even using it in full bounce. Very unpredictable

results. Yes, I have had the notion that it's me, and not the camera, but my

experience has made me wary of digitals when flash is needed. Perhaps I should try

my SB 28DX with the 990, that's something that I haven't done. It's just so much

easier to use my F100, and I don't think it should be. Next month I'm going to the

Nikon School digital 101 class, and hopefully I will get some much needed help.

Carl,

<p>

When I am photographing watches, I never use flash. I use whatever is needed of

hotlights, usually daylight balanced incandescents, plus diffusion, absorbtion and

reflection material. From then on it is a process of trial and error, and slowly working

toward what I have in mind for a particular photograph. I don't particularly remember

what I used for the photo above, though I seem to recall the primary light was a quite

ordinary 60W incandescent lightbulb.

<p>

However even though I often have a 990 on loan from a friend, I still cling on to my

950. With the small apertures needed and only a few hundred watts of hot lights, the

exposure

times tend to be measured in seconds, and the 990 has a way too noisy dark frame

exposure when you go above 1/4 s or so.

<p>With the 950 I can push the maximum of 8 s without problems, and have done so

in a

number of cases. On one occasion the only apparent source of illumination was the

glowing filament of an electron tube (see attached photo), and even then I had to fiddle

by using the computer to generate a digital double exposure.

<p>Feel free to ask if you have any particular questions on your heart.<div>006jFo-15624384.jpg.461791238215e7fdb87177de92b3e5b3.jpg</div>