When Vertical/Horizontal?

travis1

In RF mode or slr mode, what determines when to shoot portrait mode

and when to shoot landscape mode?

I can understand there must be a "spatial" consideration here. Is

there an aesthetic consideration? Is it a concious decision or random?

Landscapists, wedding shooters and streetshooters...what say you?

For me, Im mostly a landscape mode person. The negs just feel

more "complete" in landscape mode. ;)

A matter of briefing in my case. My commercial photography fills catalogues and

billboards, my personal shooting fills my books or my frames. Soooo, it mostly

depends on where/how you feel your images are going to be displayed. As far as the

subject structure goes, it is simply not relevant: there are thousand of example of

effective rendition of verticals in horizontal format and vice versa. My two cents.

Well, one of the "fine-art" photo instructors I had in college used to say, "If God had meant us to shoot verticals, he would have given us eyes like THIS! [pointing to his forehead and chin]". (Incidentally, he used an M2 and goggled 35mm lens exclusively for his own work.)

I tend to shoot a lot of verticals - but then I started out as a Nat. Geo "wannabee", and they also tend to use a lot of verticals to fill those nice 35mm-format single pages - so I developed the skill. I look for (and see) vertical arrangements, as well as horizontal.

I was also influenced by Gene Smith: the "lead" shot from the "Nurse-Midwife" essay (28mm vertical shot of a woman in labor in the foreground, with the nurse in the mid-ground and a kerosene lamp in the distance) does an incredibly effective job of 'leading' you literally into the room, and the story.

When magazines were king, the vertical page format made good use of vertical pictures - so LIFE and LOOK photographers tended to shoot a lot of verticals. As TV's fixed horizontal format (and panoramic movie formats) came to dominate how we see the world, we are perhaps not as aware of 'vertical vision' as we once were.

That's not necessarily a good thing.

I don't think a horizontal composition would have done justice to the picture below - I would have gotten a lot of excess curb, and the little girl would have been 'squished' by the top of the frame.<div>007S4G-16701784.jpg.33ca8a0777cab4a4505570e18d543a54.jpg</div>

There is a certain amount of tension/tenseness in a vertical picture that is absent from a

landscape view regardless of subject matter. Consider that looking out of a dark enclosed

space through a narrow vertical slit is a different experience than looking out through a

narrow horizontal slit. How our eyes are situated on our face might indeed be why.

The only advantage to shooting all horizontals that I can thing of, Travis, is that then you don't have to make the other big decision: shutter release and wind lever on top, or on the bottom? And if on the bottom: push the button with index finger or thumb? Life can get so confusing!

Here's the Gene Smith "nurse-midwife" shot

I just don't see this communicating as effectively if it were a horizontal - too much bed sheet, not enough 'focus' on the relationship between the women, and between them and their environment (as represented by the oil-lamp and bedpans). The 'flow' of the picture is vertical - hands to face to face to lamp and back again - so it's appropriate that the framing follow and reinforce that flow.

OTOH - Smith's other famous "caring" picture - "Tomoko in her bath" from Minamata - is a horizontal, and works well because the internal relationships between people and objects and light are also horizontal.

To borrow Paul Fusco's pithy phrase: "I concentrate on what I'm looking at, so I can understand what the hell I'm taking a picture of." - and then choose vertical, horizontal, or diagonal framing as appropriate.<div>007S6S-16702284.jpg.745f2a0a64740b0730a8d8b637bdeefb.jpg</div>

I try horizontal first. If it doesn't work, then it is going to be vertical or diagonal. I think most frames can be done both ways - it is a personal choice. Yes, for magazine shots, vertical should be heavily considered.

Okay, my turn. It seems that Brett Weston set up his view camera on the tripod, and took a horizontal shot. Then his father, (Edward) walked up to Brett's camera, turned the back 90 degrees for a vertical; put in his own film holder; and took a picture which has been published many times. Brett's picture, I am told, has never been published.

Yes, It's an aesthetic thing.

I shot events for this public interest group for free as a favor to support their good cause

but they got so annoyed at my mostly diagonal shots they never called me back after the

second time. I was just trying to put an interesting perspective of people standing around

with drinks in their hands doing nothing :)

The subject nearly always suggests which way to hold the camera. If it does not, shoot a picture in each position when time permits. Compositional sense comes with practice and keeps on refining itself. If one must ask what composition is, there is much work ahead!