Basic make up recommendations?

vihao

<p>I'm taking pictures of two 19 year-old female friends this

Saturday and I don't know a thing about make up. Is everyday type

application suitable for a studio photo session or is there a

different approach? Foundation, lipstick, eyeliner, mascara... What

is most necessary? What should be emphasized? Should application be

heavier than normal because of studio lights and film?

<p>Lighting: 2 White Lightning monolights (10,000 and 5,000)<br>

Film: Kodak Tri-X and Fuji NPS/NPH

<p>What looks good under normal light might not under strobes. Will

normal application go unnoticed? Will extra make up be needed or

will that appear garish? I want enough that will speak, but doesn't

scream.

<p>Any tips and advice out there?

It depends what effect you want. I think for general portraiture, basic makeup will work fine. Chances are the girls may not know how to apply anything more advanced. Ideally you would have a make-up artist available to apply the make-up correctly but I would assume you are not going to do that for this shoot.

<p>No make up artist.

<p>My posting comes down to this: Will the strobes effect how make up appears on film, and if so, what do I need to do to compensate?

<p>I posted my light sources and films above in case it makes a difference.

Generally studio flash does not change how make up looks. (Unlike stage lighting)

However if you are looking at portraits remember that when you stand talking to someone remember that you don't look at their face in detail. If you look at a head and shoulders shot and the sitter has too much make up on it will look garish, but if there is a blemish your eye will home in on it and see nothing else - I've passed a good couple of hours for two recent shoots removing spots. So attention to detail, rather than quantity is what matters. If in doubt ask them to start with minimum make-up, and maybe go for something a bit more later in the session.

Actually, the burst of light from the flash is far more intense than

the constant levels for stage lighting. It's the completely different

situations (live action of relatively-small characters at a distance

vs. a frozen frame that can be examined in detail) that make

different makeup appropriate.

I agree that it's the skill with which makeup is applied (rather

than the quantity) that determines whether it looks good on film.

I also agree it's better to err on the side of subtlety unless the

makeup is the subject.

One potential problem with strobes is that some kinds of

makeup have brighteners that respond to UV light, so your

subject could end up with a cooler skin tone in the areas with

makeup than in areas without it. (I'm not a makeup artist, so I

don't have specific advice on how to get around that.)

Stage makeup largely serves to correct the distance between the audience and the actor by enlarging facial features. They have to be made bigger so they will look normal size from 50-100 feet. Sate makeup is mostly optical illusion.

This will not serve your purpose. In a normal photo studio, too much makeup will make normal people look garish. Use enough to tone down harsh reflections due to natural oils on the skin (watch out on the nose and forehead) but generally, less is more.

If you're really concerned, you can always start off with too little makeup and gradually add more as the session continues. Think of it as another form of bracketing....

Everyday application should work except avoid over glossy lipstick unless that is the effect you want - the lip will be "flashed out".

The amount of base or foundation is dependent on the skin complexion of the subject, unless you feel your soft focus filter is effective enough.

Everyday makeup should work fine. In fact, I would avoid heavy foundation, because it reflects more light. The result will be that the girls have a very light colored face, while their neck and shoulders will look considerably darker (because un-made up skin absorbs more light).

Hope this helps!

Little or no foundation...dermablend for spots, undereye , around the nose, a bit round the lips...blended with clean fingertips.

A good dose of loose translucent powder,applied with a velvet puff, brush off the excess.

Brush eyebrows to remove powder particles, keep an eye on the eyebrows during changes so they don't get mussed up.

Some mascara, not much. Avoid a clunky effect by applying with almost dry wand ( get the model to do this herself, takes a bit of practice.) Non waterproof is better - easier to correct mistakes. Bit of brown eyepencil near the eyelashes to define without being obvious.

Vaseline on the lips.

This is your basic highfashion natural makeup.

If you want more...add colour / dark to the eyes according to taste...avoid hard lines.

Add lipcolour, again avoid hard lines.

All photographers should know how to do/direct a simple makeup, that way you can work without makeup artists unless you're doing something more complicated.

Forgot to mention blusher. You need to use a tan colour powder, compact matte variety. Get the model to smile and brush this on to the cheeks. If you're feeling adventurous, a little pink over this. Very little of what's left on the brush on her temples, and just under her chin.

Done. More tan than pink. Go very easy on the pink.