Now to my question: I'll need a lens hood but, since I'm a "user" as

opposed to a collector, can't see spending the high asking prices for

a Rollei shade. Does anyone have exp. w/ Bay 1 to 49mm adapters? If

one uses a rubber hood does it block part of the viewing lens? I have

a decent collection of 49mm filters & would like to use them on the

TLR.

TIA

Bill.

I bought that "clumsy" hood and it's horrible. I basically have to jam it on and it's crooked. Also bought yellow and orange filters. They are good. Also bought the lense cap. Horrible. The plastic is brittle and broke within one month. I guess these things are being mtd as cheap as possible.

What are you doing with 49mm filters and a Nikon FTN? Mine uses 52, but no matter. Buy a used $5 bay 1 filter, take a hammer to the glass, clean out the shards buy a step up 49mm ring and epoxy it to the bay 1 shell. Now you can use all your filters and, if you have a 49mm shade, use it. It works great for my MX Rollie.

George Nedleman

Come on folks, Rollei Bay 1 stuff is a bargain. Try buying Bay 2 or 3 stuff! Pick up a nice Bay 1 shade on E-bay, (I have seen them go for $25.00 to $30.00) I can only recommend an adapter if you have a whole slew of expensive 49mm filters you plan on using. I love those little Bay 1 bayonet filters.

I took this following statement from an old thread, so I cannot vouch for the current accuracy. Might be worth checking out:

"One source of Bay 2 as well as Bay 1 adapters to either 49 mm or 52 mm filters and hoods is John Aungst Photo-Video in Leesport, PA. He sells it for approximately $15. I've ordered one each, but they have not yet arrived so I can't tell you how they work for me. But John's a pretty straight up guy. His phone is (610) 926-2655 and the email address is japhotovid@aol.com"

I have actualy found a used bay1 to 49mm adapter, however it was not identified on the box as a bay1 instead it was identified on the box and adapter as a series 5 to 49mm step up ring.

Fit perfectly on my rolleicord bay1.

Some people have mentioned in this thread that you can buy a lens hood for cheap on ebay etc., but you wont find a bay1 polarizer for cheap, if you can find one at all, as these are rare to find.

I am not sure but it seems that series 5 filter ring is the same as bay1.

I would confirm this before spending money on the adapter, there may have been more than one series 5 type filter ring.

I'm currently using a Bay I to 49mm adaptor on my Rolleiflex T. This allows me to buy and use the popular 49mm filters that would have been rare and expensive in the Bay I size.

I would advise against using a flared rubber hood with your step-up ring. It does block the bottom of your viewing lens. Use a non-flared, straight, cylindrical metal hood. They are well constructed and anodized. The ones that are in current production are those made by Heliopan and they are not expensive.