owen_clarke

I am buying a new lens for my canon 300d. Its looks as if i can only

afford a choice of 3 different ones

Sigma 24 - 70 mm 2.8

sigma 24 - 135 mm 2.8

tamron 28 - 75 mm 2.8

the middle one has the greater scope for me as i will b using it to

do weddings( b4 anyone starts i have done weddings allready with

this camera and the clients have been very happy with the results)

My question is has anyone experience of these lens and if so which

would they recomend to use

Well, he said "clients" so that probably means yes

And it's not the quipment that makes the photographer, so I don't see why people get all frustrated when someone comes in and says he's using a drebel for commercial purposes...

To answer your question, you might want to take a look at this link...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showgallery.php?cat=29

I'm sure it'll help you!

The Tamron 28 - 75 has received excellent reviews and I have seen some excellent

shots from it. The future compatibility of Sigma lenses is still and open question

(some say that the HSM lenses will be compatible with any future Canon bodies but

older lenses have experienced enough difficulties for me to hesitate over Sigma

purchases). As far as I am aware no Tamron lens has experienced compatibility

difficulties.

The DRebel has the same sensor as the 10D and the lack on onboard FEC is easily

worked around by shooting with a flash that has EC. I have a friend that just shot a

Society Ball using a DRebel and 2 studio strobes.

The Sigma 24-135 is f/2.8 only at the wide end. At the long end, where you need it the most, it's only f/4.5. That's a big negative in a wedding, even with a 300D/D-Rebel.

The 28-75 f/2.8 Tamron has developed the best reputation for quality images, but 28mm is not very wide on a 300D. The two Sigmas are still fairly new, but seem to be regarded well by the people I've read. But 24mm still isn't wide enough for wedding work in my opinion. I can't imagin using any of these as the primary wedding lens on a small frame DSLR.

But as long as you already have a wider lens, any of these would probably do okay. But I think if this was to be used as a longer than normal zoom, I would opt for the Canon 28-135 USM IS since it has the additional length and image stabilization, partially making up for it's miserably slow f/5.6. It also has FTM that I think the others lack. That's pretty useful for any kind of shooting, weddings included.

So I guess my advice would depend on what other lenses you have to use.

I'd go with the Tamron.

1. Since it came out I read only good things about it saying it's close to the 4 times more expensive 24-70/2.8 USM L. I don't recall reading so many good things about the Sigma lenses. A friend of mine tested it vs. the 28-70/2.8 USM L and found them to be embarrassly close.

2. If we look at history we see that Sigma and Tamron are on opposite sides of the scale of incompatibility problems. Sigma has many. Tamron has very few. Search and see for yourself.

Happy shooting , Yakim.

Barring incompatibility problems, the 28-135, though a "variable aperture" lens, is <b><i>not</i></b> a "variable aperture" lens when used in Av mode, no matter what anyone says. "Av" equals "apeture prioprity" or a set (fixed) aperture regardless of any other conditions. Since you are shooting ISO 800 film, and with most cameras ISO 800 film indexes at <b><i>f/8.0,</i></b> and by setting f/8.0 in Av mode gives you the indexed aperture <b><i>throughout the zoom range</i></b> of the 28-135.<br>That is, there is no "slow" lens in Av mode and anyone who says different has no idea of what EOS cameras do in Av mode, or for that matter, what any camera does in Av mode.<br>Again, barring incompatiblities, buy the Sigma 28-135.