EOS300D and Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX HSM

john_nickalls

If it is from a current batch, the answer is "probably not". Then again, do note that Sigma will re-chip it only if the lens is still in production. If, lets say, next year they will produce an IS version and put this one out of production, it is very probable that it will not work on your next body and you will have to sell it.

This is all assuming you are buying from a store and have warranty. I - personally - would not recommend buying it used unless you tried it out yourself on your camera and noticed everything works well.

I would - again, personally - would go for the 70-200/2.8 USM L (if I had the extra money) or the 70-200/4 USM L (if I had not) even if this reason was the sole one.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

I don't think you need worry. In fact, I suspect that Sigma now has fully reverse engineered the Canon mount in the same way as Tamron appears to have done (no incompatibilities have ever been reported with Tamron lenses, and none with any Sigma lenses made since end 2000 that I am aware of - no-one has ever reported an incompatibility issue with the 70-200 f/2.8 EX HSM that I have seen). Look at my answers in the following thread for my reasoning

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007iMe

Canon started making the EOS cameras some years ago and made their lens to go on them, Sigma also made lens to go on them and and they both worked fine, Now Canon makes an EOS Rebel that all of their old EOS lens will work on but Sigma's lens will not. Why? Does this make since that it does not make since.

If you bought a Canon lens for your EOS you only buy 1 lens and it works on all Canon EOS cameras. However if you bought a Sigma before 200000

serial # it will not work and Sigma will not fix it. You have to buy 2 lens. Sigma says it a compatibility error.

Moral- Buy Canon pay once, Buy Sigma pay twice.

"...Canon started making the EOS cameras some years ago and made their lens to go on them, Sigma also made lens to go on them and and they both worked fine, Now Canon makes an EOS Rebel that all of their old EOS lens will work on but Sigma's lens will not. Why? ..."

You ask the right question, but presuppose the wrong answer: What did Canon have to change on the new bodies? What new chip-based feature is in the inexpensive Rebel you have, which is not in my EOS 5? Better yet, ask yourself why Canon went out of their way to change their bodies so that they would work with Canon-Tamron lenses (Tamron pays Canon via agreement, which is why Tamron does not have compatibility problems) but not Sigma lenses? Reverse engineering isnt something that only Sigma does. Canon did it to try to get rid of Sigma lens-market dominance (the number of people buying Canon bodies, not non-Canon lenses, especially Sigma lenses, is huge); there is a lot of money involved, especially when you consider most shooters have only one body, but a couple or several lenses. Nothing wrong with what Canon did; were it my company, I probably would have done the same. Sigma's fault for not planning for this, though now they have grasped the problem.