Duplicating Tonality in Photoshop

Perhaps there are some PS gurus here who may have a suggestion to

solve this dilemma:

I have a B&W warm tone photograph that has been scanned to provide the

tonal range I want to use in some subsequent scans. How can I

transfer the tonal information to the new scans so they all have the

same deep, warm blacks and soft whites, and everything in between as

the original?

Assuming your scanned images have different tonal ranges to begin with, then you're essentially having to evaluate each image independently. One possibility is to modify your "Auto Levels" setting to a clip that you find pleasing. Open a Levels layer, hold ALT and click OPTIONS (same button as AUTO) and adjust the percentages. Increase/decrease the white/black point percentages until the Auto Levels command (Ctrl-Shift-L) has the effect you want. Then open the others and see if that creates the same effect.

If not exact, they should provide a good starting point. With each image, I'd open a Levels Adjustment Layer, click Auto and then tweak to your preference before saving the layer.

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, I'm either dense or your response won't work for what I'm trying to do. I want to match the warm tones of a photograph - one that is not pure greyscale. I want my greyscale photos to match the warm tones of the original. Just setting levels, from what I can see, will not do that.

You've assumed incorrectly that the scanned photos have different tonal ranges. They are all the same, from the same roll

of film, and all with the same exposure.

Thanks for jumping in though. It's always good to get input ;-))

shel belinkoff

"I'm lost with "I want my greyscale photos to match the warm tones of the original". What media are you scanning, and with what kind of scanner?"

As I said in my first post, I have scanned a warm tone photograph. Subsequent scans of other negs are going to be in greyscale. When I edit those photographs in PS, I want their tonality to match the original scan. Negs are scanned in a film scanner.

Just to clarify a bit further, in case the info got lost i my original message, the original photograph mentioned here is a B&W photo (a photograph made on conventional B&W film) printed on warm-toned photographic paper. I now want to take some other negatives (also made on conventional B&W film) scan them into PSD or TIFF format, and then edit them so their tonality matches that of the warm toned print previously scanned.

Hope this clears up any ambibuities.

I think the solution may be far easier than understanding your question.</p>You

seem to want Photoshop to set a default scanning profile, which it will not. It is

possible to set some defaults in your 'scanning software', but the results will vary per

the exposure of each frame on the negative.</p>To match the images in Photoshop,

sample the warm toned print image using the Eyedropper tool in conjunction with the

Info Palette, then make the necessary adjustments to the images from the black and

white negatives in Curves. The images from the black and white negatives can be

toned to match the print image with a Color adjustment layer....jf

Shel, I think we were confused by your request to match a tone (i.e., toning or tinting) with the tonal range of your images.

If you want to apply a tint to make a grayscale image warmer, consider scanning all your images as grayscale. Once in PS, try IMAGE>MODE>DUOTONE Here, you can select a variety of colors that will tone the image.

There are other methods which involve a separate layer with different blending modes.

Well, I'm not sure this will help. I'm away from my PC so can't access PS. It has a way of saving a set of corrections and applying them to any other images you want, at least in PS CS. Perhaps that will help. Also, if you intend to print out your images, you may want to search the threads about printer profiles etc.