Lens hood for macro 100mm

latham_portous

I am wondering if anyone here uses a lens hood for the 100mm macro

2.8 USM other than the ET-67. It is $85.00AU and the other ones (non-

Canon) are $10.00. Will I really see a difference between the two?

Has anyone noticed more contrast, etc with the Canon brand? I know

you are all going to say I have an expensive lens and that I should

shell out the $85.00 but is it justified?

There are at least 4 reasons for getting the dedicated Canon hood.

1.0 First of all, it is specifically designed for your lens, providing maximum coverage to prevent flare.

2.0) It is quickly fitted to the lens and reverses for storage.

3.0) It does not need to be screwed onto the filter threads and so does not interfere with installing or removing filters.

4.0) It provides maximum protection for your lens if it is bumped or dropped.

If none of the above matters to you, get the $10 rubber one. BTW, is it possible for you to order the hood from B&H or other USA vendor? It might save you some money.

There are at least 3 reasons to choose a "generic" rubber-type hood :)

<br>

1) It can be really larger than your lens thus permitting usage of a larger filter, too (i.e. 100/2.8 has 58 mm thread but if you have alse 70-200/4L and 24-85, you may prefer 67 mm ones)

<br>

2) Don't need to dismount or to "reverse" it at all to compact the entire construct. Just shrink or retract it!

<br>

3) Really inexpensive. 5$ for a step-up ring (58->67), and 6$ for a hood (designed to shade a 50mm lens on a 67 mm thread mount)

<br>

<br>

I am using the same set of things for a year and found it VERY usable.

Thanks for your input everyone. I think I'll fork out the cash and get the Canon one. I'm pretty serious about outdoor macro and moreso portraits so I better get whatever is made for this lens. Thanks Julian for the tiolet roll technique...after a while I'm sure it'll give me the shits!(no pun intended:-) I checked out B&H, but after the small currency conversion and the large freight for such a small item, it's better to buy locally and spend $5 more. OK...that's it...I'm goin' to get it now...bye!

Does the Ef 100/2.8 USM macro come in different packages on different markets? When I ordered mine (from a Swedish mail-order company) I decided to put off ordering the hood for a while and then, much to my surprise, found that the lens came with both hood and a soft storage pouch in the box.

My EF 100 USM macro came in a box with a plastic bag and caps. No hood,

no soft pouch. Which Swedish mail order retailer was this? Could it have

been a returned item, and was packed with the bonus materials?

<P>

P.S. Latham's idea with the dunny roll is not going to work. Unless he smears

the inner surface with something dark and non-reflective. For some reason,

Vegemite comes to mind. Yum :-)

Ture, sounds like you got great service. I like Julian only got the usual red colour Canon box with lens caps and nothing else. Julian, you are right, the dunny roll won't do. It's also too narrow. I wonder if I'll notice the difference in my photographic images after using the ET-67 hood, without a direct pre-hood and post-hood comparison. Everyone says "you gotta have the hood....it is soooo good." I'll soon find out.