ones they have been using for twenty or thirty years - right down to

the worn paint! Yes, they actually have the Fender factory reproduce

every nick, scar, scratch, and the worn finish of their origionals,

and pay a huge premium for the service. Might the Leica factory

consider such a service?

Relic Leica?

Closet Classic Leica?

NOS Time Machine Leica?

The thing with the Fender Relics, is that they wear the finish, but not the action or electronics. That is, they have unworn frets, straight necks (not the oh-too-common 15th fret "Fender rise"), and unscratchy pots and switches. So, its all vanity.

When I got my 52' Reissue Tele a few years back, the Relic version was about four times as much. Whats REALLY neat is the Relic tweed cases that go with 'em. OH man, they oughta be fun to make.

I have a friend that "Relics" guitars REALLY well.

He does such a good job that he recently found one of his fakes up for sale for

$8.000. He immediately recognized it as his work and ruined the seller's day when he

showed him his signature inside the pickup cavity and on the inside joint of the neck.

I happen to own lots of very worn cameras, bags and giutars...I love the look of worn

gear....but it would be the ultimate in Poseur-dome to pay to have a Leica worn out

for you.

WEAR IT OUT YOURSELF :)

jmp

I for one think that this is a trend that should be encouraged! The hell with pristine coddled M Leicas that sat unused for going on half a century when you could have one with dents and dings and brass, had photographed rock stars and presidents, travelled the country? Anybody can buy a new camera and stick it in a closet or display case...

In clothing catalogs like J Crew and Lands End they sell distressed pants for thirty dollars a pair. These pants are frayed at the pockets and the hems, just like a pair of pants you could buy at a thrift store for three bucks.

<p>There must be a section of the population who want the look of wearing/owning something old but either don't want to go to thrift stores or pawn shops or don't want to wear/own something <I><B>used</I></B>.

if leica doesn't want to provide such a service for its loyal customers for a fee, I will be happy to use as hard as I can with your brand new leica for free and hand it back to you after a couple of years. gauranteed to look very worn.