What to choose-Digital Rebel/EOS 300D or something else?

Although I love my film SLR (a Canon EOS Elan 7E), I'm getting fed up with paying

through the nose for film, so, I'm seriously looking at replacing my Elan 7E with a

prosumer digicam.

I'm strongly leaning toward the Canon Digital Rebel (or EOS 300D outside the

Americas) right now due to the fact it takes my Canon EF lenses, but I'm also open to

alternatives. The Sony F828 looks OK too, and so does the Nikon Coolpix 5700 &

Minolta A1. However, any camera you suggest MUST be under $1000 US (including

lens).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S: DON'T suggest a film scanner because: 1) I don't want to keep subsidizing Big

Yellow & Big Green, 2) good film scanners are expensive, and most importantly 3) film

scanning is boring!

I went from an Elan IIe, which I used for ages, to a 10D. And I've never looked back. No more film for me. I would have gladly gone to a Digital Rebel if it were available, because I had hapily used a Rebel X for quite some time. But the Digital Rebel is head and shoulders better than the Rebel because of much better autofocus, 1/4000s shutter speed, and 1/200s x-sync speed. It really depends on what kind of photography you like to do. SLR photography gives you more options, faster autofocus, and minimal shutter lag that current digicams really can't compete with. On the other hand, DSLR photography does require a degree of post-processing (usually applying some unsharp mask after resizing, which I do as an automated Photoshop action). I have an extensive range of Canon EF lenses, and I really do prefer working with an SLR camera, so getting a digicam was never a very strong consideration for me.

By the way, the reports are that Sony has delayed the release of the F828 until early next year.

What are you wanting from photography. I think in terms of a complete system for my wants and needs. Getting the fixed lens camera negates any further upgrading. In a sense every time you want to �add on� or �up-grade� you are starting from scratch (buy a new camera). You have eos lenses now, (and a canon Flash?) To me the answer is simple,, digital rebel. If you want to build a more elaborate system farther down the road then the answer is still the same (in this price range). This is not to say that fixed lens cameras are no good, if all you need is this type of camera then go ahead. They can produce excellent quality pictures. When I bought my Canon G2 I almost stopped using my Elan II but the lack of flexibility (lenses) was very irritating especially since I had a good collection of slr lenses. I bought a 10D and have never used either of the other cameras since. I guess what it boils down to is you have to evaluate what you are trying to achieve in the long run. Hope this helps in your decision, My two cents�

The 828 is not more compact than the Digital Rebel, and its tiny sensor divided into too many pixels (each 1/8th the size of a pixel on the Digital Rebel) means a poor signal to noise ratio. You will get excellent results up to ISO 800 with the Digital Rebel, and usable ones at ISO 1600, not to mention better optics (if anybody believes a 28-200 zoom, even one with the venerable Zeiss brand, can beat a fast prime or a 24-70mm f/2.8L, I have a bridge to Marin County I'd like to sell them).

BTW, you can get the Digital Rebel for $850 from Amazon.com.

None of the latter three cameras you mention is in the 300D's league. I've seen Sony's F828 samples; any cam with objectionable noise at ISO 100 on a sunny day isn't worth $1200. Or half that. Both the 5700 and A1 produce images that appear unmistakably digital.

Undoubtedly, you will find prosumer cams with equal or greater capability than the 300D, at least on the spec sheet. What you will NOT find is an equal in image quality or low-light capability; to one-up it in the former would require one of two far more expensive SLRs.

So many people grapple with this kind of decision, but in your case, the answer appears exceedingly clear-cut.

Best,

DI

Just looked at some sample pics today-here's the results:

-The Sony F828: All I can say is noise, noise, noise at ISO 100(!)! See what happens

when you cram 8 MP into a 2/3" sensor?

-The Nikon Coolpix 5700: crisp images with some noise & fuzz.

-The Konica Minolta Dimage A1: nice pics, but with lots of lousy noise.

-The Canon EOS Digital Rebel: Now THIS is what I want-virtually no noise whatsoever!

This pretty much narrows it down to the Canon Digital Rebel & Nikon Coolpix 5700.

Any advice?

I'd not recommend the 5700 if you plan to shoot in low light or need fast AF ever. They have no AF assist light and hunt horribly. Also the coolpix line has had somewhat of a history of mechanical and electrical issues which is another reason I don't recommend them right now.

Well, budget was also my major factor when looking for a new digital. I bought the 300D. With a set of five EOS lenses, flash and other accessories from film days... it was a no-brainer.

But that you mentioned certain digicams along with your choices I'm driven to wonder why. What were your motivations for considering them? Perhaps you occasionally like some features found on a digicam and not on DSLRs? The 300D is certainly a good buy... but ask yourself what it is that you want. Is it a DLSR?

I'm having a blast with my Digital Rebel. Some tips from what I've seen so far:

The 18-55mm lens that comes with it isn't spectacular. It's passable for being $100, but given the chance to do it again, I would have got the body-only kit, and spent the $100 on one of Canon's great 50mm lenses. If you need a wide-angle lens and 18mm is wider than what you have currently, then I'd say get it, but otherwise I'd skip it if at all possible. I don't shoot much wide-angle so I wouldn't miss it. The construction of the lens is a bit shoddy and the AF is slow, the images from it are passable but lack crispness.

I picked up a 28-135 IS on Wednesday and that lens on the Digital Rebel is very sharp and the AF is fast and reliable, even in low light. The 18-55 and 75-300 were horrible at AF in low-light, but the 28-135 doesn't miss a beat.

There are a few features that I wish it had, but not enough to get me to shell out the money for a D10 or regret my purchase in the least. If you've got $1000 to spend and a healthy investment in Canon lenses already, the choice really is a no-brainer.

I just got my Rebel about a week ago. I am very impressed.I think it is a good step into digital. I have never been a Canon owner, but a friend who is a Nikon buff had a Canon and he let me try it. I liked it so much I bought one. I agree with the lens that comes with it, not spectacular. I tried some of my friends and can't wait to pick up an arsenal of Canon lenses to go with it. I still love my 35mm and 645, but the Rebel is really "fun". Good luuck with your decision.

Rick

In the end, its the images that count. I owned a 5700 and I really liked lots of things about it, especially its take anywhere petit size and powerful lens. The Minolta A1 has many similar attributes and anti-shake. But the problem, as you yourself point out, is that all of those cameras have unacceptable noise levels at 100 ISO. Chromatic Aberration (purple fringing) is also a problem on the Nikon and earlier Sony models.

I just received my 300D and it was great to take images late into the afternoon by just cranking up the ISO until I was shooting at night at 1600 with the 28-135 IS lens. When I got home and downloaded the images, they were so much cleaner than I had hoped for and at 1600 ISO they were better than Provia 400 pushed to 1600 scanned on my Nikon 4000 with ICE and post processing in Grain Surgery 2.

The Nikon 5700 and Minolta A1 only win on size/portability and the swing LCD sometimes comes in handy. Maybe someday Canon will release their 6mp CMOS sensor on a G5 sized camera?

• 4 months later...

(much later But...)

Have you looked at a USED 10D or D60? I don't know what you shoot, but if you are at all agressive with a rebel it will fall apart. It is designed as a hobby camera, and can not take the abuse that any of the nicer bodies can due to the case/substructure. I know the imager is the same, but the additional cash gets you the quick dial on the back (which is more user friendly then the button solution on the Rebel) as well as the additional CFs/PFs and focus and exposure control, plus a hair more speed on the motor drive.

If you are using the camera everyday I would REALLY recommend one of the "Black" D-SLRs from Canon, get one used if the money is a pinch. The money you save on a Rebel will be gone when it starts to fall apart.