Fuji S2 Pro

michael_yuen

I want to get the S2 over the D100 for better color and flash

capability. But, I've read that S2 has some reliability problems.

Since the S2 and D100 use the same camera body, Can anyone comment

why the S2 has more problems? What are some of the reliability

issues anyway? Thanks for any input.

I asked the same question when my S2 Pro failed to switch on after a couple of weeks. The responses indicated that everyone *knows* that the camera is unreliable but that nobody who actually owns one has experienced any problems.<p>As for my own reliability problem, this turned out to be flat lithium batteries. It has a particularly stupid design fault in that although the camera will operate if the optional extra batteries run out, or if they are not fitted, it will not switch on if it contains batteries that have died!<br>The solution is to use it on NIMH only. <p>IMO the camera is excellent - not quite as good as the 14N but not the same price either

The only faulty design I can think of the S2 is indeed the battery layout; (Ofcourse, I didnt really like the small view finder either, but that's common among DSLRs). I once had a power failure through a shot-- the shutter was stuck and the camera was none-operational. I worked around the problem by replacing/removing the batteries (the lithiums), setting the camera to manual mode, and firing the shutter.

Moral of the story? never rely on the camera's battery indicator.

The S2 is very reliable, in my experience anyway. I believe the distributed power (use of AA's and CR123's) is behind the vast majority of hickups. I've figured that this is due to the AA's being able to power everything and the 123's sharing some of the load. Then when the 123's get low there can be some odd behaviors as the body tries to adjust which is supplying power to a part of the camera.

I never use the CR123's and have been very pleased with the camera.

• 2 weeks later...