Canon Angle Finder C

jack_pohler

I'm hoping to do a lot of outdoor macro photography when spring

finally arrives. As getting up and down isn't as easy as it once was,

I'm considering the purchase of an angle finder. I would like to use

it for ground level shots with my Canon EOS1n body. I was looking at

the B&H website and found that Canon offers a "B" and "C" model. The

description was a bit unclear to me, but I concluded that for the

extra $100, model "C" offered some type of magnification feature.

Would someone familar with these items, particularly the "C" model,

share their experience or give me some advice as to their usefulness.

Thanks,

Jack

I have angle finder "C" and use it for telephotography, mainly. It has a flip lever which changes the magnification from 1.25X which shows full finder view to 2.5X which is great for more critical focusing. It comes with 2 adapters for different EOS models.

Jim Eades

• 6 months later...
I've recently acquired an anglefinder C, it's great for macro photography or any other shot where you want to get in low. The 'C' version is more recent, and it does have this magnifier function. A very neat bit of kit to ease the strain on the knees. I have used mine successfully in the field, and also at work. It makes life a lot easier. Highly recommended.

• 1 year later...

I have the Angle Finder C, but would have bought the "B" if they still made it. The C has a magnifier on it, which I don't find useful. It could possibly be useful for people who do a lot of high, very high, magnification work.

I think the angle finder, of any maker for any camera, is probably the most uncelebrated, but extremely useful and relatively inexpensive accessory that any nature photographer could stash in their camera bags. I'm sorry that I didn't own one years ago. The most comfortable working position when doing photography close to the ground is to just sit down and look through an angle finder.

Nowadays I do mostly bird photography. Virtually all my recent shorebird photographs have been taken through an angle finder. I hear about all these people crawling around on their hands and knees through the mud and muck putting damaging strain on their backs and necks and getting their hands too filthy top operate the camera (especially a problem if you're still changing film like me). Why? Binoculars are an absolute necessity when I do any shorebirding or shorebird photography and I can easly keep them handy when sitting down and not when I'm on my belly. I also find that shorebirds are easier to closely approach when looking through an angle finder than when looking directly at them as a possible perceived predator. I suppose because Arthur Morris doesn't use an angle finder for his shorebird photography nobody else does, but that doesn't mean they can't be a useful, if not a far superior, way to photograph shorebirds.

• 2 months later...

If you wear glasses as I do, the Angle Finder C offers better eye relief.

I have an Angle finder C and it is a must have for doing macro and landscape. It's great for waist level and on-your-belly type shots. Allows you to take your time and compose rather than shoot out of impatience from strained muscles.

• 1 month later...

I have the "B" finder, which I bought used thinking it was still over-priced. Together with my Manfrotto table-top tripod it has become one of my most essential accessories, and I strongly recommend an angle finder to any Canon user, it's well worth the seemingly high price.

There are two criticisms that I can make of it though. Firstly, the view is like squinting into a murky fishtank compared with direct use of my EOS3's finder. I don't know whether the "C" finder is any better in this regard, but if it is then I will definitely upgrade. Secondly, if you use a camera-mounted flash you can't get your eye up to the eyepiece unless you rotate the finder to about a 45 degree angle, and even then it's not an ideal arrangement. The "C" finder looks like it has a longer barrel, which might help give a bit of clearance in this configuration.

• 1 month later...

Actually not an answer, but a question: I owe a Canon Eos 100 and I recently bought a Canon AE-1 to be used for astrophotography.

Is the Angle Finder only to be used on Eos models or does it fit on the AE-1 as well?

Thanks for any suggestions !

Ronald