Contax 645 review

ted_roberts

I am considering purchasing a Contax 645 to supplement my Hasselblad system when I need the higher shutter speeds. I have read alot about this camera, some neagtives about the camera is the high battery usage and also that the camera shuts itself off after 15 seconds. Any comments on these issues and other would be greatly appreciated. Ted

I'd agree with the previous poster that (if there exists; I'm only familiar with the humble 501) a higher-end/more advanced Hassy would be a better bet for you so you can swap accesories and remain within one manufacturer's product. The Contax does go through batteries quickly (I've got the external grip/battery holder mounted on mine and manually focus as often as possible to get as much out of those pricey lithiums as possible) and the power-saving shut down can be obnoxious, but my experience with the Contax has been more favorable then with Hassleblad simply as a result of shooting style; the Contax seems to have been designed for spot fashion, animate portraiture, and quick moving wedding photogs. Sometimes I have to stop and force myself to slow down and think more about my pictures with the Contax, whereas with 'blads every step (for me, anyways) had to be very calculated. I've heard complaints of Contax filmbacks not holding film perfectly flat, but mine has been good to me so far. The lenses are superb and the cameras handles well, but I still can't help but think there is a Hassy to suit your needs and bette rintegrate itself into your existing system.

Hasselblad 200 series is a focal plane shuuter camera that controls speeds electronically and has higher speeds on these modles, but is much more expensive ($3000-$7000) for the body only and Hasselblad does not make an autofocus camera, which is why I am considering it. Contax has an adapter for the Hasse lenses. Contax seems to provide a alternative with the AF to stop action. I love my Hasse system and the images it produces-manually doing everything is part of joy of it. THanks for the responses. Ted

Be clear on one thing - the AF on the contax is not exactly blazing fast. Don't expect Nikon F5 (or even f4) AF speed. That said, the Contax focuses a lot faster than I can manually. Anyway, I think it's a great camera!

(If you go to mamiya's website (then to the 645 AF user's forum), you'll see a lot of comparisons between the Contax and Mamiya AFs (including a long one by me)).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Before purchasing camera in this price category

you should be able to test it for a couple of hours.

My shop offered me this possibility for whole week.

Be sure,

if you like this this camera in short test,

if its functions and style suit your needs,

then (and only then) it is worth each penny

they ask for it.

best regards

juraj salak/austria/europe