I don't want/need a digital M !

fredus

<p><i>

Fred B. , feb 13, 2004; 02:54 a.m. wrote:<br>

Even if Leica comes up with a digital M, I don't want it ! I still want to be able to pop film in my M6, shoot my 36 pictures roll in the afternoon or more, send the film to my lab, wait 1 week to receive my prints and see the result. Get exited when I open the package, discover shots I forgot, see the magic of my summicron at work, keep the bad shot as well and rediscover them a month or a year later and go outside and shoot again instead of spending 2 hours in front of the computer with photoshop.

</i></p>

<p>As far as process goes, it's up to YOU as to how you want to change it. Most labs these days will burn all your digipics onto a CD for you AND give you an index print. No one is forcing you to immediately delete the pics you don't want. If you're already letting your lab develop and print your film, why would you assume that you are going to manipulate your digital images in Photoshop? Just get your lab to print them...or leave them on a card for a few weeks if you want to forget the shots you took, first. ;-)

</p>

<p>Even Leica makes a digital camera, it's not going to impact you at all. It's not like THEIR creation of a digital camera is going to kill film production.

</p>

<p>I like shooting b/w film and developing it and printing it. OTOH, I also like the rapid turn-around that is possible with a digital process. I also like the ease of repeatable results and lower cost of colour printing using digital techniques. So for b/w, I will continue to use the darkroom but for colour, I will move to digital for most of it.

</p>

<p>- lars

</p>

Mike and Dennis. This is a mature board. Your childish remark are unwelcomed.

I know that nobody will force me to move to a digital M, I just had the need to let it go. I don't usually participate in the digital/film debate and I've grown frustrated. I had to say something :-)

Sorry if I've disturbed anything ... :-)

Fred

Fred, an excellent rant, especially from someone who already uses a digital camera and just

sold off Canon gear. You seem to complain about the choice of easy editing and tweaking

of digital when you just send film off to a lab and wait a week and then seemingly do not

do anything with prints that need extra work done to them.