Sicily

andrew_lee2

Does anyone have any experience photographing in Sicily that they

would like to share (e.g., events, places, people, logistics-getting

around, etc.), or do we have any Sicilians or native Sicilians among

us? Just curious, very non-directive open-ended question, and I

thought this might be the best place to ask. Cheers.

I've worked in Sicilia, Millazo. I had a car and drove from Catania. On the off days, I went to Taormina (beautiful) ans up Etna. BTW, the plague entered europe through Messina, Sicilia.

FWIW, the pizza I had in Sicilia was thin, and the pizza I had in Roma was thick, Sicilian style. 8*)

Going off-topic from the photo just momentarily, is driving in Sicily treacherous (outside of Palermo, of course, which I imagine would be similar to driving in Rome or Naples), or do-able? Navigable, decent roads, marked roads, etc. Also, how's car and/or scooter rental in Sicily (the nature of it, the cost, etc.)?

Driving is no problem in Europe, in general. They are much more educated in proper predictibility (except the teen boys on an overdose of testosterone) than here in the US, where the concept of keep right unless passing is largely an unknown concept. That's why we need so many lanes. The autovias are modern, although, I prefer the back roads that wind through villages, not bypassing them. Speed is never an issue when on holiday. Renting is cheap. I make reservations in advance and generally pay about $120 per week for a compact car.

Driving in Palermo is insane, but most of the island is country and will be okay. I wouldn't even think of driving in Palermo.

There does seem to be a lot more crime in Palermo than anywhere else I went in Italy (although I did not go to Rome), and it's a good idea to hang onto your camera and your wallet. I found people fairly suspicious at first about a foreigner pointing a camera at them, but they seem to relax after a while.

If you want to shoot in the Palermo catacombs, you will probably need advance permission. Even without shooting, the catacombs are definitely worth a visit, but take a taxi as it's almost impossible to find them any other way. And in Palermo, never flag down a taxi, just like in Mexico City. Have one called for.

I spent wonderful two weeks in Sicily and Aeolian Isles this summer and came back with some 15 rolls of film. If you want something really ancient, try Siracusa and Valley of the Temples near Agrigento, both old Roman colonies. There is a plenty of historic sites along the Eastern coast. For landscapes, try wonderful coastal village Cefalu, or Taormina, even coast near Palermo is quite wonderful. And if you want something really wild, go for volcanoes, both Stromboli and Etna are quite active currently, but you can get to the very summit of both with a guide (or you could in June, when I have been there). Dont get fooled on Etna by going only to Torre di Filosofo, which is some 600 metres below the summit. There are guided tours to the very top, only tourists dont know about it. You have to find a guide (they have a wooden booth right next to the parking lot) and cost 180 EUR per group, haggling is possible :-). Group is max 10 people, so it is advisable to find several friends, it will be cheaper. If the weather is nice, the view from the top is amazing, you can see coast and a large portion fo both coastal and inland Sicily, Etna is 3,300 m tall! Not to mention that the whole top of the volcano is covered in black ashes, looks like a moonscape, but has a very clear air, so photographs come out absolutely sharp. And hey, there are millions of white butterflies flying over the ashen moonscape! Well, you can clearly see, what was my favorite photography object this summer :-) I dont have the photos scanned, sorry, so I cannot post any examples. Have a great time, though.

BTW, driving in Sicily in big cities (Palermo, Catania, Messina) is horrible and seems quite dangerous. Just like in the whole Italy, actually.

If you are driving in any of the large cities, I'd advise you keep the doors locked & the windows up. It has been known for someone to lean into the car & take a bag as you wait at the traffic lights.

Don't be paranoid though - it is a great place both for a holiday & for photos.

That link is hilarious.

I didn't find driving terrible everywhere in Italy. In Tuscany and Umbria, it seemed fairly sane. It was just in the big cities that everything seemed out of control, but Florence was ok except for the one way streets.

Even though I think the city driving was crazy in Italy, there are places much worse as far as driving goes...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Greetings: As an American that lived in Sicily for 4 1/2 years, I can provide many different locations that you may enjoy... here at big ones!

Catania - Go Shoot The Market! (Fun, Fast, But Watch Your Wallet!)

Caltagirone - My favorite town on the island, find Bar Centrale (on the old side), ask for Claudia (tell her, Marco from Sigonella sent you)... she will hook you up! (And, there is a ton of pictures to take there... the stairs!!! Awesome!)

Gela - Old, dirty, scary, but historic! Nice views of the ocean.

Agrigento (Valle De Temple) - Do not leave the island without having visited this site. Many, many ruins all close together! Very famous!

Enna - Brilliant place, great pictures of old churches. Highest town on the island.

Mount Etna - If the weather doesn't suck, go up the mountain! Lots of pictures, a bit of a drive but worth it!

Palermo - Nuts! I found having lived on the other side of island (Catania side), to get to Palermo, you are better off taking the train! You will enjoy the ride and you don't have to sweat parking! (If you do drive, don't go on a Sunday, there isn't a parking place to be had where you are going to want to be!)

Marsala - Awesome town! And yes, it is where the Marsala wine is made! Take lots of pictures here!

Cefalu - Awesome! Right on the ocean, brilliant views, and if you spend the night there... stay at the convent, very inexpensive, and close to everything.

North Island Driving - (A20) - If you can, drive across the North side of the island on A20 all the way back to Catania. Views are awesome! Have Euro for tolls though!

Taromina - Enough said... awesome. Very touristy though!

I drove on the island my entire time without having an accident. That does not by any means presume I didn't have a plethora of close calls! Remember two things...

(1) - Presume someone is going to do something stupid, and anticipate it!

(2) - Never give anyone eye contact at a circle, if you do, you just gave them the right-away.

--- Oh, and get an International Drivers license. This will come in handy if you do have an oopsy!

Good luck and safe travels!

Cheers... Marco

• 5 months later...