iPod as Storage Device -- Noise or other Quality Issues?

I have read a couple posts about the feasibility of using an iPod as

a storage device (using the Belkin card reader). The summary seems to

be: it will be slow, but it will work. I am about to buy a Nikon

D100, and I wouldn't mind owning an iPod for this and other uses. My

question is, will there be any reduction in the quality of my images

if I transfer them to the iPod before loading them to my laptop? Does

anyone know of any reliability issues I should worry about.

Thanks in advance.

>hansley yunez , mar 13, 2004; 10:06 p.m.

>iPods are known to reduce depth of field in images, i recommend you >stop down to compensate.

True, unless you use the iPod Mini which has a smaller harddrive, resulting in an increase in depth of field, so effectively no compensation is needed. Could anyone post some comparison shots? Thanks. M

>iPods are known to reduce depth of field in images, i recommend you stop down to

compensate.

you people are wacky!!.

I use my 30gb ipod for this (except I have a Canon 10D)

My experience has been that it's so firrgin slow (and running the ipod's drive constantly

while being slow) that I get about 1gb of data transfer per charge of the ipod's battery.

About 2.5 -3 GB per set of AAAs in the belkin.

Not really a problem if, a) you have AC or car power to recharge the ipod, and, b) you

have 4 hours to do so before you need to dump more than a gig.

In the unfortunate instance of no AC, I built a 12 volt power supply to run a "cigarette

lighter power adapter". Get a battery holder for 8 AA batteries (about $6 at radio shack).

Wire a "cigarette lighter" receptacle to that, and you can run any kind of 12v charger from

easily obtainable (i use rechargeable) aa batteries

In the unfortunate instance of no time to recharge, you are out of luck. I have been

contemplating hacking into the cable on the belkin to add a power feed (from my battery

pack)

Screw the Ipod. Use it to listen to Phil Collins while you traipse around the Holy Land shooting pictures and getting shot at. Use something else for pictures.

Get a Jobo Imagetank G2 - bigger and bulkier, but it will suck down a 1Gb card, pressing one button, in 7 minutes and do it seven or more times on a charge (Li-Ion, comes with 120/220 AC and car adapter). The internal hard drive and the battery can both be changed/upgraded by the user. They start at $240.

RE>iPod storage reducing depth of field - those inputs must come from PC/Windoz people. Us Mac folk know that in reality iPod storage of digital image files increases sharpness, resolution, contrast, and provides post capture improvements/flexibility in the lens' zoom range and aperature! :-P