Teleconverter for D100

ray_vann

Kenko Pro 300, I have the 1.4 version and it works with both AF-S and non AF-S lenses. I have to put in the disclaimer that I am using a D1X, but this combination should work on a D100 as well. I got mine at B&H a couple of years ago and it was something like $179 at the time.

Hope that helps.

Derek

On the D100 (and F80/N80, etc.), if you use a TC that has no electronic contacts such as the TC-14B, the combination becomes an AI-S lens which the D100 cannot meter with.

Your choices are either a modified TC-14E with the extra tab filed off, but you'll lose AF since your lens is not AF-S or you go third party.

BTW, you are talking about the 80-200mm/f2.8 AF-D, not 70-200, right? The only 70-200mm/f2.8 AF Nikkor is the AF-S G VR version.

Okay - can someone settle this for me once and for all??

Using a Kenko Pro 1.4X TC, with a D100 and an AF-D lens (say, an 80-200mm/2.8 AF-D), I realize I get AF, but:

Do I get Matrix Metering?? My understanding is yes, but correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is that the correct aperture is not communicated back from the lens to the body, so, if the lens is wide open, the body displays 2.8 instead of the effective f4 (f2.8 + 1.4 TC); however, the image gets exposed properly at f4?? -- Correct??

Now, say, I stop down to f5.6:

If I use the lens' aperture ring to go to f5.6 (giving me an eff. f8, with the TC), what does it show on the body -- f5.6, but the image is still exposed correctly at f8??

What happens if I lock the lens' aperture ring to f22, and use the D100's command dial to stop down to f5.6?? Is the image then exposed correctly at f8??

Please clarify...

Ray, I have never bought any 3rd-party TCs, so I can't help you on that. I'll let others explain how the max aperture info changes electronically.

As far as metering goes, as long as your TC can transmit the electronic signal, you'll maintain metering: matrix, center weighted and spot, all three.

No Nikon TC will let you maintin AF with this combo. But in any case, AF on the D100 is on the slower side in today's standards. Don't expect too much after you add a TC to a non-AF-S lens on a D100.

I 've a Kenko Pro 2X. When I use it on D100 and lots' of AF (non AF-S) lens, including 60Micro, 80-200 f 2.8. focal length and Max Aperature do not change. I just got a AF-S 24-120 VR and mount it on the Kenko converter, focal length and max aperature do changed (you can see the updated data on camera and EXIF info). Seems to me that Kenko teleconverters can only change the focal length and max aperature data on AF-S lens.

It does focus well and meter (a bit under exposed, need exposure compensation) with Non-AFS lens, unlike Nikon's AF teleconverters which cannot use with any non AF-S lens.