info on Yashica-12

mark_blackman1

Mark, info for your Yashica 12 can be found here:

http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/mf/yashica12.html

And here:

http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/mf/yashica24.html

Basically, the Yashica 12 was a brother double with the Yashica 24; The 12 takes 120 film, and the 24 both 220, and 120 as well although some report problems getting 120 film to work in the 24. I've never owned one of these Yashica models, so I'm going by second hand knowledge. Here is the rundown on the Yashica 12, cut and pasted from the "rmonagha" site:

120 film (12 exposures) 80mm YASHINON f2.8 viewing lens 80mm YASHINON f3.5 taking lens standard Bayonet 1 mount (Bay 1) accessories* COPAL-SV shutter, speeds of 1 second to 1/500 second plus B single motion rapid film advance and shutter cocking self-timer flash synch CdS meter (battery powered) accessories: lens cap, strap, hard leather case * standard to Rolleicord, Rolleiflex, Yashica Mat, and similar TLRs.

With the 80mm Yashinon 4-element Tessar-type lens, you should expect superb image quality and grainless enlargments even past 16x20. The only catch *could* be battery replacment- I hate batteries, and that is why I removed them from the YashicaMat 124 I own, and use a hand held meter. The CdS metering in this camera could be very accurate. Simply put, its a fine camera that will allow you to capably explore your photographic vision in medium format.

Hello Mark,

<Br>

I have a Yashica-24 that I also purchased off of eBay. It worked upon arrival, only to die a couple of days later before I even put a roll of film through it: I was just testing the shutter when it froze, a common ailment of the Yashica's. I suspect that your Yashica, being some 30 years old, would also require service before you take it shooting. I recommend Mark Hama out of Georgia. He was a Yashica techincian and probably built your camera. I sent mine to him and for $100, in addition to a CLA he actually replaced the failure-prone shutter blades with new ones. He guarantees them for six months. It's been a year and the camera works beautifully. His number and address is in the archives.

Good luck and congrats.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...