A12 magazine jamming

otakar_sroubek

I have several A12 backs for my 500CM. I sent two in for repair

which turned out to need a "complete overhaul" here in Chicago.

There was a spacing problem with too much space in between frames on

one and too little space on the other. During test rolls, the winder

on the camera body seems to slip after the 4th exposure and then I

cannot shoot the next frame unless I remove the back. I hear a gear-

like completion sound during that time then I have to place the

magazine back on the camera to shoot again. This would even happen

without film in the magazine. It would happen several times during

the 12 exposures. The film shows overlap of images or 1/2 of the

image missing. The other back which was overhauled worked perfectly

with or without film. Of course it needs to be looked at again but

is this sloppy work in repair or the end of the life of the

magazine? Any thoughts would be appreciated. The back was

purchased used.

There is obviously a problem within the film back, and the technician who worked on it should have noticed and corrected the problem. Being that you paid for a repair that wasn't done properly, I'd give them a second chance to repair it properly at no charge.

If they can not repair the problem to your satisfaction, I'd be happy to take care of it for you.

David S. Odess

Factory trained Hasselblad technician

28 South Main Stret #104

Randolph, MA 02368

(781) 963-1166

Service per back was about $250 which was for labor and parts. I'm not sure if this is competitive but used backs go for $250-350. The problem is that you never know the condition of the gears etc when you buy used, at least I can't. Considering that the back was never cleaned etc since I've owned it I guess it was in need of repair. BTW, I contacted the repair center and they wanted to imply that my camera body was possibly at fault. I said the other overhauled back worked fine with and without film. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Otakar-

IMHO $250 is outrageous!! These backs are simple, well designed, precisely

machined pieces of equipment. In my experience, if the repairman does what he is

supposed to do, the back then does what it is supposed to do. Let's assume for a

moment that the shop charges the absurd price of $100 per hour. This repair will

have taken them 2 1/2 hours. Seems OK until you realize that a qualified repairman

can completely disassemble, and reassemble the back at least twice in this amount of

time. I'd be a little upset if I were you. As far as blaming the body... there is absolutely

no way the body can disable a back. NO WAY. The winding gear turns one revolution,

and the counter release arm sticks out. This is all the body does in relation to the

back. Nothing else.

The repair should have cost no more than $75 buck in my opinion. This isn't rocket

science. You just need to find someone on your side. Not theirs.

Peter Rosenthal

PR Camera Repair, Flagstaff, AZ

I agree that $250 seems a little high but I have no previous experience to refer to. He said that part of the overhaul includes replacing the light shield since it was worn out and that they make little if any profit on parts, just labor which is $75. I took the back in today and even showed him the transparency with overlapping images. He thought there might be a problem in the transport mechanism and maybe something didn't seat well when it was put back together again after the overhaul. Unfortunately, I am not knowledgeable about the mechanics of the thing and have to go by what I'm told. I do appreciate everyones comments. I just hope that I'll have a working back in a few days.

I sent two back directly th Hasseelblad in New Jersey a couple of years ago to correct problems not corrected after two trips to a (Local Expert) it cost about $95 per back and they have worked perfect after the repairs. I also tried an (auhorized Hassey repair center) in Alanta one time they were no good either (they destroyed a Super Wide they said they could repair). Now I just use Hasselblad in New Jersey if I need it fixed the first time.It is cheaper than reshoots and digital repairs to negatives because of equipment problems.

I have two A12 backs camera and 80mm for service now in Sweden. Two older fellows who used to work for Hasselblad is running the place.

Their service-prices are: A-12 550Skr (about$75) and that including parts. A complete kit (body,back and lens 50mm-250mm)3000Skr ($about 400)who includes parts and Swedish taxes about 20% who you dont have to pay if you live outside Sweden. I live in Norway but are sending it to Sweden because Swedish products are best taken care of in Sweden.

Their name and adress are:PRO-CAMERA Box 115, 438 23 Landvetter Sweden. Phone out of your country 46-31-919403. And they have not got any E-mail adress or Internett conection yet and will probably not get it in the future.

I finally got my magazine back. The guy said a spring inside was broken which was responsible for winding the film correctly. I don't know how this could happen after an overhaul. Considering this and the price paid compared to all the other posts above, I guess I'll have to look elsewhere if something happens in the future.