price drop on 10D? Buy Now or wait?

bhushan_thakkar

I am going on a Video shoot at the end of the month and vacation afterwards. I am

planning on buying a 10D to take with me but am not sure if I should wait till next

weeks show to see if there is a price drop. I'm getting a little anxious and am afraid

of the store running out of stock again. What do you guys think I should do? Do they

normally announce price drops at these shows?

Bhushan

I'd say: Go for it! Waiting for price drops can be very frustrating - I know for myself. I do not expect really significant price drops, maybe just smaller ones. Just look at the price development of other EOS bodies in the past.

I got a 10D - and I love it! It is a lot of fun to work with!

Johannes

Buy now.

I had similar experience.

The truth is the saving you will have on 10D after price won't be that big a deal compared to the vacation that you will have.

Buy the camera now and spend sometime to learn the camera before the vacation.

Finally, it's unlike that they will drop the price much. They have rebel covering the lower end already.

I am a canon lover,and I would never touch the 10D, Just for the fact that it has a focusing issue. If you don't have canon equipment, ie Lens... then I would shoot for the Nikon D70 and buy a nice lens to go with it. Then you can sell it and the lens and put that on the 10Ds replacement. But I'd never go nikon EVER, not completely, but I have ventured to use nikon equiptment for something like this, a cameras just a camera, but I'd never go nikon for the long term and I would certainly never go 10D for a digital camera. IF I were you? I'd go D60

Now that Nikon has announced the D70 which seems to be a competitor to the 10D as much as to the 300D, I think a price drop - if not a replacement - of the 10D is due.

It could be announced at next week's PMA show.

I also saw a thread on DPReview today about a bunch of new prosumer cameras from Canon (including specs), AND a replacement for the 10D, but it was removed promptly. To me, this proves that the information is true.

You obviously need your camera sooner rather than later. I don't think there will be any major price movement for the 10D until somewhat after that - i.e. say at least April, when D70s start to actually hit the street. If you are concerned about a big depreciation hit on buying a 10D, then consider the 300D instead as your interim measure. If you feel you need the 10D features, then you'll have to accept that and suffer the hit when it comes.

<i>Mick Canis wrote: "...I would never touch the 10D, Just for the fact that it has a focusing issue."</i>

<p>

If you've never touched one, then you really don't know ANYTHING about it, do you? There may indeed be a very few 10D bodies that do not focus properly, however, much of what you may have read on the internet turns out to be due to operator error or ignorance. The vast majority of them, including the one I use regularly (8000 exposures in the past 8 months) do not have any problems achieving correct focus.<p>

Bhushan,<p>

Just buy the damn camera, if that's what you want. If you'd rather wait around and hope that, maybe, Canon will lower the price, then you could do that, too. Or you could just wait for the next Canon DSLR to be announced and then sit around wringing your hands wondering if the price will drop on that one. Nobody can decide except you, and nobody who posts on this forum, as far as I know, has any clue as the what Canon will do tomorrow or next week or next month.

Give me a break! There were a few 10D's that <B>did</B> have a focus issue.

Those owners cried and cried and made a fuss and it looked like every 10D

on the market has a focus issue. I own a 10D and it is fine, everyone I know

who owns that camera raves about it. Just look thru this site. There are <B>

tons</B> of razor sharp pictures produced by the 10D. Mick (correct name?)

isnt about time you actually <B>purchased a camera :)</B>. But hey, just

having a little fun at your expense. <Br>Bhushan: Get the camera now and

start enjoying this wonderful peice of equipment. AJM

Tough choice. I don't anticipate an official price drop. If a new model is announced, it's likely that the street price of the previous one will drop at precisely the same time as it starts to run out of stock.

Focus issues schmocus issues. I can't speak for every 10D owner on the planet, but mine focuses just fine, even wide open with a long lens at its minimum focusing distance.

<p><i>The price will drop when a replacement is announced, but then you will want the replacement</i>

<p>

I'm not sure that is true. The replacement is likely to use the new E-TTL-2 (or whatever its called) that doesn't work too well with some existing EF lenses. Unless the replacement also offers full compat. with the current flash units/lenses, I would rather have the 10D.

Oh my word, what an ugly thread.

OK: The pma is NEXT WEEK. A 10D replacement either will -or will not- be announced. If there is no announcement, there is likely to be no 10D replacement until the fall. Don't wait *forever*. Wait ONE WEEK.

If a 10D replacement is announced next week, it will take at least about a month to be available.

E-TTL2: There is more to the E-TTL2 than distance feedback. I have three lenses that lack distance feedback (24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.8) => E-TTL2 would still be 95% effective since the key changes are in the averaging of the metering zones and not the distance calculation.

10D focus issues: Ah, yes, we can talk about this for months. Bottom line must obviously be that the 1000's of images taken with this camera are all out of focus. . . .

I went through the same conundrum back in December. I made a guess (purely a hunch) that the 10D replacement isn't coming out until Fall or PMA 2005... And bought a 300D as a stopgap. My reasoning was I would lose less money on the sale of the 300D than the 10D.

IMO I made the right choice. I actually quite like the 300D, had an extra $600 in my pocket that I put towards some new L's, and it does indeed seem that the 10D replacement is a way off; otherwise (IMO) Canon would have announced it to steal Nikon's thunder.

Nathan;

No, a 10D replacement next week is still possible. Maybe even probable given the "tea leaves".

I think the 1D-II did alot of thunder stealing two weeks ago. A 10D-II (or some such) would only serve to hammer Nikon to the ground (unless, of course, the 10D-II comes in at $1999, which is a distinct possibility). Anything is possible.

Bhushan,

Simple answer, if youhave the money now then buy it now! if you don't have the money then buy it later!.If you don't want to loose money on buying new then buy a used one so the money you spent on whatever used camera you buy still would be used category but if you buy new camera and second later you want to sell it it fell into used category otherwise you return the new camera within a week or so if you live in US ( I don't know if the 7 days return warranty apply at other countries).So good luck and keep shooting with your new or used camera! ciaaooo

Ike

I too am waiting and watching, having decided that the D1 mkll is just too much money for me .

I guess its back to web scouring and rumour chasing, at least for another week.....I'd regret a 10d if a much improved model was announced within the next month and as many have said,I cannot see a huge price drop for the 10d yet.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have a 1n and three lenses for it including an L so going with Nikon is out of the

question. I have inherited many cameras and lenses from my Dad and they are all

Canon. As for the focus issue I believe there might have been a bad bunch that came

out but the majority have had no problems. The learning curve is not much of an

issue the 10d is not new to me I recommended this camera to my friend before the

300d came out and have used it allot. I have since recommended two other friends to

buy the 300d and they love them. I guess even if a new camera is announced it won't

be available by my trip and if the 10d is a good camera today it will be a good camera

tomorrow. So I'm going for it.

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

I wouldnt thinkso. I think for the possibility of saving at most $100 the potential opportunity of getting a shot in that interim period is far too great an opportunity to miss out on! But thats only my opinion, I think you should buy now. I waited for ages for a 10D in the Uk and eventually I found out from Canon that they werent albe to restock shops in the UK for another 10 weeks so I ended up paying an additional �350 for it here, and sure enough the UK shops were not stocked for a further 3 months -unless you had deposited and reserved.