Leica M lens to screw body

never ask "why" in situations like this!!

as for whether it can be done, the mere fact that leica produced three of its current lenses in LTM form a few years ago should answer that question. it is not a hard conversion for a good shop (like grimes). the threaded mount portion is available from leica or can be sourced from a trashed lens. it is then simply a matter of coupling this piece to the lens and assuring proper film to flange distance. grimes (and i'm sure many others) has done this work in the past.

I made a good deal on an additional 90 Elmar C with the idea that I would sell one of them at a profit, but it now occurs to me that I would like to have one converted to fit my screw mount Leicas. The mounting plate on the back of the lens is in excess of two mm thick and is removable so this would allow its removal and replacement with a screw mount salvaged from a ruined lens. <p>

I considered the same conversion several years ago on a rigid M Summicron that had a broken bayonet lug. It seemed feasible but finally the machinist determined that there was not enough meat in the mount to remove the necessary 2mm to accommodate a plate with the screw thread. <p>

Bear in mind that such work is time sensitive and expensive, and rarely worth the trouble unless your machinist is interested in experimenting. I believe that the Elmar C conversion might be worth pursuing but some other suggested conversions are just too expensive. <p>

BTW, The guy who used to do my machine work (no longer available) had a screw mount Leica which he had fitted with a bayonet mount. He said he had over fifty hours invested in the project, so it can easily be seen why such conversions are not commonly feasible.