Thread lost......Travelling to Australia...

david_clark10

Hey all this thread was lost in the big crash - I would be greatful

if you could re-reply:

I am leaving for Brisbane at the end of the month and I am taking my

Nikon SLR (+24-120mm) and a Fuji MF Rangefinder. I have never

travelled overseas with medium format before and therefore haven't

had to worry about roll film. I assume it won't like airport xray

machines so I plan to buy it in Australia, can anyone recommend any

good stores that sell roll film in Brisbane, Sydney or Melrose. Also

for the same reason I will have to get it developed out there any

good places for B&W processing? Lastly I'm hoping to take the two

cameras as carry-on will this be okay? Any other tips / info would be

appreciated. cheers Dave C

Hi there, well you had some great replies - too bad they got lost! I'll try to remember all I said....

As long as you don't put your film in your checked luggage it really should be alright. I ALWAYS carry my film in a big plastic ziplock bag in my hand and walk through the security check. I've never had any problems with this overseas (and this includes "tough" places like Central America, India and China) But the US is quite sticky about these things (understandably so). They may ask to hand inspect it or order you to put in on the belt. I've done both and had no problems, although it did take some time.

I think carring on both cameras is fine as long as you have the room. I can't imagine ever checking my camera. I always travel with the most important things close to me (my money, my passport and my camera)

Also be prepared to have to "fire" your camera while going through secruity(bad humour). I've had to do this at serveral times. (they want you to take a picture with your camera to asure them that it is a working, functional camera (actually there was a ?brillant? photography series composed of pictures resulting from these shots) Anyways make sure you have batteries in it and it is working order before you get to security (if not it can cause HUGE delays...take my word for it).

Anywhoo that's my opinion - just what works for me - maybe someone else has other suggestions??

Have fun and take a bunch of pictures!

Hi, my answer was lost too...

Anyway, in Brisbane, by far the best shop for photography supplies is Photocontinental on Logan Road in Mt Gravatt. However, it is in the suburbs (maybe 6-7 km from the city centre). It has an excellent selection of professional b/w and colour film. In the city centre itself there are photography stores on the City Hall side of Elizabeth Street, which, from memory, do have a decent range.

I can't remember names of the stores in Sydney buy there are quite a few in the City centre. If you look at the Sydney yellow pages when you get to Australia you should have no problem finding one.

Speaking for myself - I have never had a problem sending MF film through carry on luggage scanners at Australia's domestic and international airports, including Brisbane and Sydney, so I wouldn't worry much about that. I have also travelled domestically within Australia and internationally to/from Australia with a bag containing three cameras (including a Bronica) as well as a few lenses as carry on luggage. No one has stopped and questioned my rather heavy carry on (occasionally I've had a laptop too!). But that may be a matter of luck...

Have a good time in Australia! Brisbane is beautiful, although still a little humid this time of year.

Not sure which Melrose this could be. I know the one in SA; it's tiny and you won't get pro film there. There's one in western NSW round about what is called "back of Bourke", and I don't know it, but I would be surprised if you could buy pro film there either.

The pro camera shops in the big cities tend to be in the inner suburbs, near the graphics arts, advertising, and design professions and the universities. Except for Ted's, the central city shops cater more for amateurs and especially tourists.

Yellow Pages under "Photographic processing - professional" for your B & W processing.

The airlines here are serious about carry-on limits. Because light planes are so ingrained in the culture, people don't argue about it the way some other nationalities might. Check your airline's web site.

Melbourne... well you'll be able to buy most things (I won't say anything!) in the CBD. Wander along Elizabeth St. For some more exotic stuff, a tram (jump on the tourist circle one and it's free and then you've just hgot a short walk) up to Vanbars might be needed. Not real clue for B&W developing other than I think Vanbars offers the service. I imagine Micheals and the likes also off it but turnaround times might be a problem if your only about for a day or two.

• 2 weeks later...