Darkroom equipment

george_nedleman

I'm at the tail end of my battle with Pancreatic Cancer and pose a

question for you "guys". What the Hell do I do with my darkroom

these days? I'm set up for MF with a D-6 monster enlarger w 75 and

50 Elnikor an Arista cold light and all the stuff that goes with a

fully functioning darkroom. I can't imagine ebay and I can't believe

a school needs a donation like that. Any ideas?

George

George �

My deepest sympathies for your condition. Life has got to be hard enough without worrying about your darkroom. But, you clearly would like to see it have a good home.

Surely there must be someone local who would take it off your hands. It doesn�t sound like you need to get a great deal of money for it. There�s got to be someone who would love to have all that stuff, and use it. Perhaps an ad in the local paper? A photography club?

The chances of finding someone are a great deal better if you are in or near a big city, of course. Lots more people. And don�t discount schools. Some (not many) still have darkroom facilities.

All the best. I hope your darkroom find a new home.

George, you may want to try some of the local photo studios, the ones run by old pros, not the Olan Mills-type. Also non-chain photo stores. Most are run by folks with connections to people still using film, and may have an outlet for you. Traditional photography is still being taught in most schools, high school and college, and should provide an outlet. If you have access to Shutterbug magazine, many of the advertisers will buy equipment, and may be willing to pick-up. Midwest Photo Exchange, I believe, is one that will do this.

George,

Would you have the desire to find a photographer just begining, who would be able to appreciate your knowledge and equipment? This may be the most rewarding in that you will know this photographer will be putting this equipment to use for years to come.

You may be able to find a community darkroom or community college where darkroom courses would be offered to the public to donate the equipment to.

I wish you the best with your decision.

Brady

I hope your tail end lasts a good long time and some new treatments arise during it. I've had prostate cancer, but my experience so far has been pretty good, so I can only get a glimmer of what you must feel.

I also had to give a darkroom away, but simply because I was downsizing to a condo and didn't have room for it. (I decided to restrict my darkroom activities to developing film and do everything else digitally.) I had the hardest time doing it. I didn't want to put it on sale on ebay because I didn't want to bother packing it up a piece at a time and sending it off. I offered it for free or for a bargain price all over the place. Some odds and ends I did send off to people who were willing to pay the shipping charges, but it was a real pain to do the packing. Finally someone in Wisconsin offered to buy most of it from me, and he got a real bargain. In the end I was left with a fiberglass sink which I couldn't even seem to give away, but my daughter located a group encouraging photography in underpriveleged children living on the west side of Chicago.

So try ebay with the stipulation that it must be picked up. Try also the darkroom newsgroup for sales and anything else you can think of. Post an add in a local newspaper. Eventually people will show up to take the equipment off your hands.

Have you investigated Gene therapy? Also I believe there's some new schemes for cutting off the blood supply to tumors, the newest modalities regarding these treatments are coming out of Canada and here and at UCLA, you sound like you still got some fight in you and you're still here, so here's hoping that there's some more choices and treatments you can reach out to...........take care.

George

Try your local high schools! I teach workshops for U.C.Santa Cruz, and I have two students who are high school teachers (photography) They have zero budget for any equipment or materials! Most are buying chemistry with their own money. I donate all excess equipment and materials to them. I make them pick it up, and anything they don't use can be trading stock for repairs ect. They would love to have your stuff.

www.doncameron.com

I agree with previous posts. I run a University undergrad and graduate

program, and we take in geaar like that all the time. Look to your local

commuity colleges and public high school, they have like zero budget for new

hardware and would welcome a D6 and you'd get a solid tax letter from them!

If you can't find a school, post a note here:

http://www.ilford.com/cgi/LOUNGE/lounge.pl

George,

So sorry for your condition. My thoughts are with you.

There is a school in the inner city in Los Angeles that has a photography program for disadvantaged high school (or younger) students. I am sorry that I do not know the name of the school or program, but I saw their work a few years ago on display at Freestyle Photo in Los Angeles and it was great. Perhaps you can give Freestyle a call and ask them if they know the name of the program and how to reach it. You can reach Freestyle at 800-292-6137. I hope that this helps. It would be great to see your equipment go to such a good use.

All the best.

I'm in NJ. My high school's photo budget is so low that we literally run on donations. We buy our film, paper, and chemicals, but everything else is donated. We have about 8 enlargers, and try to keep 6 going at a time, getting rid of the bad ones if a new one comes around.

I'm sure that a lot of schools and students would go crazy over a D6 with cold light.

I got some of my darkroom equipment from an older gentleman in my area who was moving away, and his health did not allow him to continue his darkroom work. It is so painful for me to see so many great photographers, both well-known and hobbyists, leaving photography for one reason or another, mainly health. My generation doesn't seem to be picking up the torch as much as I had hoped. I can only imagine what will happen to the wet darkroom and large format when it is up to my generation to continue it.

George-

I was deeply touched by your frankness regarding your illness. I sincerely wish you the very best.

I am a young photographer just starting out. I shoot 35mm and MF with my Yashica TLR. I've been taking classes at a local community college and this semester I borrowed a field camera and dove head-first into large format, which I really love and hope to continue exploring.

I would love to make you an offer, but I wouldn't know where to start. Perhaps we could work something out over email.

Best wishes,

John De Cristofaro