F4s questions

johnmarkpainter

I am considering an Auto Focus Film body to go along with my D100. My 'other Nikon' is

an F2.

F4s seem to be going fairly cheap...it looks like a pretty serious camera and I don't really

care to have the latest modern auto-everything body. I am just interested in sharing AF

lenses between the two cameras.

Any drawbacks with the F4s? What are the differences between the F4 and the F4s?

Thanks,

jmp

Hi John,

First.. difference between the F4 and F4s... just the grip.. F4s has vertical grip... hold 6 batteries... F4 has standard grip holds 4 batteries. I have the F4s and always intended to by the small grip to make it lighter but have grown to like the vertical grip so much I have kept it as it is.

As to drawbacks, I expect you will get people telling you its both heavy and lacking in auto focus performance... the heaviness... well I like that myself and I'm just a little guy too.... the auto focus... yeh well I would like to have better auto focus but I'm quite happy with what it gives me...

Main thing is, to me the ergonomics of the F4/F4s are far supieror to any camera. I love the simple manual style dials and lack of LCD screen.

If you have a look under the equipment section on this site there is a review of teh F4... the review is not so positive but you will learn an enormous amount by reading the comments on the review... about 6 years worth if I recall. Def check that out and good luck.

Greg.

The F4/F4s was one of my favorite Nikons. It's the only AF-generation camera that could use non-AI lenses without a modification, and more importantly the only one that permitted matrix metering with non-CPU lenses. Being able to remove the MB21 and use the MB20 in its place was a nice thing too, sadly missing on the F5. When the F4 is working (and they were pretty reliable, nothing like the horrendous Leica R8's I had at the same time, which all three of them got homesick for Leica's repair department on a regular basis)it's one heck of a nice camera. AF is fine for static subjects, using the lock and recompose feature, and as long as the subject has a sharp vertical line where you want to focus, as it is insenstive (if not blind) to horizontal lines. Predictive AF for moving subjects is pretty antiquated, but sometimes it works ok.

The biggest problem with the F4 today is that it isn't *that* cheap and I've heard tell Nikon no longer offers parts support (at least in the US), since it's been discontinued since 1997 and this is the magic seven-year point. IF that's true, I'd be kind of nervous about paying more than $200-300 for one, as most of what might go wrong with it is electronics which can't be scavenged from parts bodies, even if you can find an independent repairman who knows the camera. Sad, because the F4 was a truly great camera. Personally, to go along with your D100 I'd either go with an n80 (very similar user interface) or even an F100 which will cost about the same as an F4.

Have I mentioned that I love this Forum?

It sounds like the F4 is a better companion to my 2 and the N80 is a better companion to

my D100.

Jay....that tip about the non-cpu lenses and matrix metering is a big one if I want to use

my old AI lenses. KEH has some F4 in the $400 range...I guess I would just be taking that

risk.

Exc N80 on the other hand are about $250..pretty cheap.

Decisions decisions

jmp

buy one, it's the best choice you can do. total manually feeling, no computerprogramming on LCD display and full range of metering, from spot - matrix.

You can look on the top of the camera and you'll know whats she's doing.

Direkt aperture read out, means you can see the f-stop by useing mf-lenses.

realy the best camera for photopgraphers.

(and of course, I'm shure, later on you will buy a F5)

http://home.arcor.de/martin.hupfer

I use both the F5 and F4/F4S. While I find the F5 superior in auto focus and exposure metering, I prefer the F4 configuration for macro work and the F4S with my MF 500mm f/4. The F4(S) has features that I would give precedence over almost any other Nikon but the F5. Those are:

Full frame viewing,

Mirror lock-up,

Removable prism,

Excellent weather sealing,

Rigid die-cast body,

and compatability with almost every accessory in the Nikon system.

I too love my F4s. F4s is built to last, not like my fancy boy D1X. This winter on a morning search for my next image, I found myself in some sleet/rain snow mixture weather conditions. Fearful that my D1X would fizzle out I brought out old reliable and continued to shoot. Bottom line - I could probably use my F4s to hammer nails and still be able to shoot some slides. Metering has always been on and reliable.

The good things about the F4 is that it's incredibly tough, is excellent ergonomically, has a superlative viewfinder and works with just about any lens that has a Nikon bayonet on the back. The bad things are that it is extremely heavy and outrageously noisy.

It's a truly uniques design and after an hour shooting with it you'll either love it or hate it.

I agree on that the camera is heavy, but the shutter doesn't seem louder than other SLRs. In fact, I like the--as someone said--"dampened" sound: it feels as if the the mirror slap is nicely absorbed in the weighty body.

Do other people also feel that the F4 shutter is louder compared with other SLRs?

I don't think that it's that noisy at all, certainly not 'outrageously' noisy.

The mirror dampening and shutter balancer mechanism I think give this camera a rather quiet and relatively vibration free operation. This was one of the first things I noticed with this camera after using a succession of medium priced bodies (FA, FE2, 8008)

I also don't think it's extremely heavy. Certainly no heavier than a F3 with a motor drive, or for that matter I think an F4s is equal to if not lighter than most manual Nikon's with a drive attached.

And if you get the MB-20, it doesn't feel that much heavier than any AF Nikon camera I've used.

<em>"Certainly no heavier than a F3 with a motor drive,

or for that matter I think an F4s is equal to if not lighter than

most manual Nikon's with a drive attached." --Eric Bogaerts<br>

</em><br>

This list started as part of a tongue in cheek replay to Phil

Greenspuns review of the F4s. A review I did not agree with.

All weights are with Energizer L91 lithium batteries and a 1"

Nylon neck strap *except as noted.<br>

<br>

A 36 exposure cassette weighs approximately 22.5 grams (not

included). The list is in order of descending weight. The three

cameras set apart are the sweet spot (for me) for high

performance motorized Nikon cameras.<br>

<br>

Commercial Brick, Traditional Clay = 2,695g *(w/o strap and

batteries).<br>

Common Brick, Traditional Clay = 2,270g *(w/o strap and batteries).<br>

F3HP (DE-3) w/ MD-4 = 1,487g *(w/ Alkaline or NiMH batteries)<br>

F5 = 1,447g *(w/ Alkaline or NiMH batteries)<br>

F4s = 1,443g *(w/ Alkaline or NiMH batteries)<br>

F3HP (DE-3) w/ MD-4 = 1,384g<br>

---<br>

F4s = 1,366g<br>

F5 = 1,344g<br>

F3 (DE-2) w/ MD-4 =1340g<br>

---<br>

F4 (MB-20) = 1,164g<br>

FE2 w/ MD-12 = 1083g<br>

F2As = 872g *(w/ two S-76 batteries)<br>

F100 = 861g<br>

F3HP (DE-3) = 790g *(w/ two S-76 batteries)<br>

F3 (DE-2) 746g *(w/ two S-76 batteries)<br>

Elph Jr. = 150g *(w/ APS 25 exp. film, lithium CR2 battery and

wrist strap).<br>

<br>

The reason for the difference in weights, Lithium v. Alkaline or

NiMH, is because the lithium batteries weight approximately one

half that of alkaline or NiMH. The savings is about 103g per set

of eight. <br>

<br>

My personal preference is for the F5 or F3 (DE-2) with MD-4 but

this is such a Nikon F4 love fest I dont want to intrude.<br>

<br>

Best,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

<strong>Nikon F4s v. F4?</strong><br>

<br>

I definitely recommend buying the Nikon F4s then buying the MB-20

battery pack which is still available new for $49.95 (USD) at

B&H Photo. This gives one a choice to balance the camera with

a heavy lens or select a lighter and less obtrusive camera for

hiking or candid photos. Dont forget to pickup a DW-21

finder.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

"I don't think that it's that noisy at all, certainly not 'outrageously' noisy. "

Everything is relative, I suppose. Next to my Hasselblad, the F4s were reasonable. Next to the Eos 5 I bought in a mad moment, they were very noisy indeed. I never measured them with a sound meter but I do know that I have used the Eos in a number of situations without attracting attention where the noise of the F4s would have been unacceptable. My old F, on the other hand, is just as unobtrusive as the Eos.

Hi , I've used just about every nikon camera and lenses over the past 30 years and have never been told it was too loud. I can't imagine shooting with a camera that didn't make noise to some degree.

There are times when you need to be quiet like shooting wildlife etc., but that's about it. Have you listened to cameras in a press meeting ? I've shot beside 60 Photographers and it sounds like someone is typing on an old Underwood typewriter . The only complaint over the years is with my flash not camera noise . I have 2 F-2's and 2 F-4's and love a heavy camera as well.,,,,,,Nikons forever.,,,,,,,,RM