Back drops

david_sacco1

I have seen a backdrop used by a photographer that is paper based in

this case white on a roll at least 100 feet long and ten feet wide.

It hangs from roll off the ceiling. It provide a beautiful white

seamless background. Does anybody know whats it is called and where

I can get it, how much$$ and roll sizes. I don't seem to see it

listed in my b&h catalog

Appreciate the help

D. Sacco

David, i purchase my background paper at my local cameragraphics store. it is about 50.00 for a 109 inch wide roll. it is also in different colors. be ready to experiment with your lights for the true white photo i still havent gotten there yet. I keep getting a light gray it the set up. you can also get the same paper in the magazines for about 1/2 price but it is handy to just pick it up for me and the manager is also nice to give me some tips free. freddy brown

Feddie,

if your white seemless backdrop is producing grey tones, you should consider moving your lights further back... It sounds like your experiencing "fall-off" between your subject and your backdrop. Fall-off can be decreased by creating more similar distance between your subject and backdrop. Here's an example, meter the light where you subject wil be and then meter again on your back drop. If the readings are different, your film will read the backdrop darker than the subject. The further back you place your lights, the less difference you will have in the readings of your subject and your backdrop, thus, you will have a brighter white. The opposite is also true, if you move your light in really close, you can produce a dark gray back ground... Please forgive me if you already know this. Have fun

To David and Freddy

If you want a true white background you will need to light the background independently of the subject lighting.

An incident reading about 2.5 stops above your subject exposure is about right.

Less than that and your background will be a hint gray.

More than that and you risk "haloing" round your subject.

A bit of experimenting is needed to get it exactly right

Geoff

• 3 months later...
I run across a few website relate to backdrop and they're all refer to Studio Gray or Neutral Gray. I went to the paint shop and the gentlement working in the store doesn't know what color I am talking about. Can anyone send me a photo of the actual color? I also like to dye my raw muslin to Studio Gray & paint one of the side to different color later. Is this going to work? Thanks.

I run across a few website relate to backdrop and they're all refer to Studio Gray or Neutral Gray. I went to the paint shop and the gentlement working in the store doesn't know what color I am talking about. Can anyone send me a photo of the actual color? I also like to dye my raw muslin to Studio Gray & paint one of the side to different color later. Is this going to work? Thanks.

Just a thought on Dave Long's question about "studio grey". I haven't done studio backdrops, but I've done a lot of theatre sets. When we wanted a totally neutral grey, we found that a true grey paint was ghastly. We opted instead for a well known color called Payne's Grey. It is an artist's color, duplicating the very slightly blue-green tint of grey that is typical of thunder clouds. It is a grey with some life to it.

If you are going to dye or paint muslin for a neutral grey backdrop, I'd recommend checking out "Payne's Grey".

Ernie

• 1 month later...