How to fix a tiny spot (fungus?) on my lens.

donald_kim_lewiston

Hi, I've noticed a tiny (pinhead sized) spot that has developed on

the inside of the front glass on my M645 55mm lens. Any advice on

self cleaning? I fear if I send it somewhere to be repaired, I may

be charged more for the repair than the lens actually cost me, but I

may be wrong. It doesn't affect picture quality, but I would like

to have it taken care of primarliy for resale value later.

Thanks,

Donny.

If it is fungus, it would be a good idea to get this out of your lens before it grows and damages the glass, whether you do it yourself or have it done. I'd probably ask for an estimate, it might not be as high as you fear.

Generally, the front element is held by a retaining ring slotted for a lens spanner, and can be removed by unscrewing the ring. I can't speak for this particular lens, though.

rick :)=

Have you tried placing the lens in strong sunlight shining on the spot? I've had this on some of my lenses and the sun ( hot sun )will dry it up and should turn like dust . Then it can be shook to one side or blown out. With my many treasured Nikon lenses I have to think about the repair bills before going to the shop with them . If it's not worth it to fix it I add it to my camera collection if I can't fix it myself. Also ,have you ever been somewhere that you just have to get a picture of but it's a dusty or all round bad place to take a picture. I am at sea a lot and I never take my real good lenses with me because of the salty wet air.That's where my old Vivitar series 1's come in or the others that are damaged. By the way if you put the lens in the sun remmber to open up the aperature so you don't get a pinhole .,,,,,,,,,,,,,Roy

I would second the sun trick - fungus doesnt like sun. Take the lens off the camera! Leave it for a couple of days. Watch the spot - it should not make a hell of a difference to your photos if it is very small. It is seldom worth taking the lens apart for a tiny spec of dirt - but if it starts growing then that is another story...