Gitzo or Arca Swiss head for G1325?

t_oldrini

I am just about to purchase a Gitzo G1325 for my 67 w/55mm,105mm and

200mm. I was naturally considering buying a Gitzo head to go with it

(G1378M) but have noticed that in all discussions everyone seems to

opt for an Arca Swiss head or similar. As my budget is limited I am

inclined to go for the Gitzo but am now wondering if this will be

sufficient as no-one else seems to ever even mention them. Is there

a reason for this or do most people just go for the best?

In short: Gitzo heads are good, Arca heads are the best. If money is no object, do get the Arca head. If it is, you may decide to do as I did and get the Gitzo head and save a bundle. Gitzo heads are very well built for the money if you can get a good deal. In my experience you only need a very heavy tripod/head if you use lenses of 300 mm or longer. And then your 1325 would probably not be enough either, at least not when extended.

• 11 months later...

Gitzo heads, IMO, are no longer the best. In fact, I have sworn them off entire, having had one too many lock-ups for my taste and patience.

If you're shooting long lenses, get a Wimberley and dedicate a tripod to the endeavour. If not, then your Gitzo suggestion would be fine. Bogen makes a good Pro Ball head. Really Right Stuff now makes fine ball heads. Avoid Gitzo; servicing those heads is a pain, as well, at least for those in the U.S.

Arca Swiss heads are the best.

My B1 hasn't locked up once in over ten years, and I think people should stop spreading this alleged lock up crap. It sounds as if all Arca Swiss heads would lock up for everyone all of the time, since it gets repeated over and over. I can't hear it anymore. If you believe your product is faulty, have it replaced, but don't whine about it on each and every online forum.

I'll buy another Arca Swiss head soon.